Why does age difference matter so much to people?

Just curious. Why does age difference matter so much to people? I ask because I realized there is ups and downs to every amount of age difference. Whether it is a year apart up to five years apart. We are going to start our trying to conceive process next year. My daughter and sibling will be 4 - 5 years apart. Well considering I get pregnant easy anyways. That is my choice. I feel that is to each their own.

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never knew there was an issue about it. I don't think age difference is a big deal, maybe I'm just out of the loop.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't get it either. There is no "best age gap".
    Kids who are close can hate each other or be best friends.
    Kids who are far apart can be best buddies or distant relatives.
    There is no way ahead of time to know how your childrens' personalities will mesh (or clash). It's always a roll of the dice..
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I don't think there is a "set" or "hard fast rule" about what the right age gap between siblings is - but I do recommend closer together rather than VERY far apart...my sister and I are 12 yrs apart and other than parents we have nothing in common...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i think it only matters to some people. i had mine less than 2 years apart and really wish it had been longer. i had two in diapers at the same time, one that could barely walk and one in a carrier. it really sucked. i have one about to be 8 and my other is 6 and will be 7 in august. my bf and i are planning on having a baby and i really don't want to wait too much longer because of my kids' ages. i feel like i'm half way done raising them and i'll have to start all over. i don't think my bf gets that, though since my kids are from my marriage and he doesn't have any. i don't tihnk he's looking at it from my point of view at all.
    igot2

Answer by igot2 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• yeah you never know... my sister and i are super close - she is 5 years younger. my stepsister and her assface cow of a sister are too and they're 17 years apart.

I think it comes down to people. a friend of mine is a little less then 2 years older than the sister and even though they have mutual friends and all - they are nowhere near as close as me and my sister..
    Veela

Answer by Veela at 12:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think some people just like to criticize what other parents do. I say do what is right for your family and ignore people's comments.

I have three girls, people all assumed we would try for a boy. Like gender mattered to us.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• omg teamguin i know what you mean...

just the other day someone was admiring my baby boy.

we spoke for a minute and i told her i actually had 3 kids. she gave the obligatory WOW and asked if they were boys or girls.

when i told her ithey were a boy and a girl she said -" well at least you got your girl!" like that's what all women are shooting for ..lol ...yeah the boys are just consolation prize

Veela

Answer by Veela at 12:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009