Is 0 an even number?

The students at my school just took the ISAT test. One of the math questions had to do with even numbers. Now, some teachers say that zero is not an even number others say that it is. What do you know about it? I did some research but I am curious as what you and your children have been taught.

skymcr

Asked by skymcr at 11:36 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• its even to me
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• It is an even number. Isn't it?
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• i don't remember what i was taught, but i would think it is. all the numbers that end in 0 are even...but i'm terrible at math so i could be wrong lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Youd think so...
    Anonymous

• No it is not. It is the only number that is neither odd nor even.
    It cannot be divided by 2. It is not even.
    I'm a teacher. This is what I teach my students.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:39 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• armywife43 is correct, numbers that end in zero are even, but zero alone is not.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:40 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• An even number divided by 2 leaves no remainder, while an odd number divided by 2 leaves a remainder. According to this logic, zero would be an even number. However, Zero is divisible by any number and leaves no remainder. In this it is unique. ( 0/n = 0 ; independent of what "n" is. When a number...say 5, is divided by a pedestrian integer you get quotients like: 1.666 (5/3) or 0.625 (5/8) but divide any number by zero and the quotient is...undefined. Every single time. Although, some argue that 0 falls into the realm of even numbers. It is insisted that every integer must be even or odd, and states, "An integer 'n' is called *even* if there exists an integer m such that n = 2m...From this, you would say that 0 = (2)(0) is even. So, I guess it depends on who you ask and if you think they know what they are talking about! And getting a correct answer is dependant on who is grading your answer. HMMM...

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I am wondering how they are going to score the tests. Many children consider 0 as even and many don't.
    I was taught it was a neutral number, but I found out on line that zero is an even number.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 11:50 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• If zero is considered even, I'd have to say it should be considered odd as well. Zero is nothing, so how could it be either?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Zero is usually considered to be an even number.

A function can be neither odd nor even. A function equaling 0 can be EITHER odd or even.

Zero is neither positive nor negative.

Zero can be divided by an even number. 0/2 = 0 But it can also be divided by an odd number. 0/3= 0

However, a number cannot be divided by 0. 2/0 = undefined
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2009