What do you do if your 2 year old hits you?

What kind of discipline do you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Mar. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• spank him. he bit me once. i gave him a good pop on the mouth. he never did it again. he hit me, i popped him on his hand. he's never done it since.
    Anonymous

• I just give mine the look and tell her not to hit people because it's not nice. If she still continues to do it after I try and talk to her about it then I spank her and ask her after she gets the spanking why she got in trouble. I always be sure when she gets one that she knows why she got it.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• yeah this is the first anon...i agree with sun, make sure your LO understands why you popped him/her
    Anonymous

• I find time outs effective. It may take repition to get through to your child but, I feel like spanking just shows them that you can reslove an issue with "violence" . When my SO stopped spanking my SS his behaviour became less agressive. I've also found that if I sound angry when I give him a time out it's just like as if I had spanked him (which I've never done, just seen how he responded to Dad doing it). So, I think the key is to try to maintain composure and be firm. And then briefly explain when the time out is over.

Just my experience, HTH!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yea I agree with time outs too but I am just now doing that with my daughter and she is almost 3 and understands a little more about what a time out even is. If your child is aware of what it means to get one then I would go for that first but when my daughter first turned 2 she wouldn't have understood nor would she have sat in time out anyway. She was always on the move when she first turned 2
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We do time outs. I would NEVEr lay a hang on my child. That is just wrong and not good parenting skills. Make them sit down. And if they dont want to. I just hold them down, not hurting them at all and make them sit there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I tried spanking, no effect. I tried time out, no effect. I tried yelling, no effect. I tried taking toys, no effect.

I thought "my god, i'm really in trouble with this kid."

Then I tried getting down to eye level and telling him in a very serious tone how disappointed I am by his hitting. How sad and hurt I am that he would do such a thing. I tell him that I am surprised that such a good boy would do such a hurtful thing. ..........It worked!!!!! If any of you other moms have difficult kiddos like mine try this out.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• id hit him back! i do this with my son, and its very effective. he gets this sad look on his face and goes and sits in a corner and i tell him "you hurt mommy when you hit her, hitting is not nice!" and he doesn't hit anymore!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:52 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• PLEASE DON'T HIT HIM BACK! That only teaches him that hitting is OKAY! I usually grab my son's hand and calmly explain that we do not hit people because it is not nice.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2009