how do i displain my son

I have a 3yr old son that hits bites screems and kick

joy2theworld236

Asked by joy2theworld236 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well since you have a 3 year old have you tried time out? Get chair and stick it in the corner and make him sit there maybe 10-15 minutes and when the time out is done then talk to him about why he got time out. Or if that doesn't work then just give him a spanking and make him tell you why he got it.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• For the biting try soap in the mouth or peanut butter and tabasco sauce on a piece of bread. ignore the scream turn your back and just walk away if he follows you just keep walking don't say anything don't even look at him. when he kicks you nose to the fridge

kelseyrei

Answer by kelseyrei at 9:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If the hitting, biting and screaming has gotten to the point where you would seriously consider feeding him Tabasco sauce, PLEASE go talk to your pediatrician first. There are physical and behavioral intervention techniques that you can be taught and which will not cause physical pain to your son, to you, or to anyone else around him. Try using time-out, and other non-physical methods of dealing with his aggression first. When children are overly aggressive, treating the issue with more aggression only escalates and exacerbates the issue. PLEASE do not feed your son Tabasco sauce. That is punitive and borderline abusive.

Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 11:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Please start giving your son choices. Would you like to have this or this? Would you like to wear this or this? He's probably feeling like he has no control and lashing out inappropriately. Look into Love and Logic. I think it would really help a lot. Don't cover these issues with band-aid solutions. You need to teach him what's acceptable as well as showing him what's NOT acceptable. Emphasize the positives in his little life. :)
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 11:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have to agree with Moonrush on this one.  Do not feed your child Tabasco sauce or wash his mouth out with soap.  That is not teaching him anything.

Three year old children usually react very well to redirection, time outs and positive rewards for good behavior.  The more positive discipline you can do at a young age, the less problems you will have with your child as he gets older.  With any type of physical punishment there comes a time when children become too big to disciple in that manner.  If you have used these punishments when they are little, then when the get big what are you going to do?  It is better just to start out with another form of behavior modification.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Answered at 9:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 by: kelseyrei
    View Answers For the biting try soap in the mouth or peanut butter and tabasco sauce on a piece of bread. ignore the scream turn your back and just walk away if he follows you just keep walking don't say anything don't even look at him. when he kicks you nose to the fridge

Did you get that advice from "How to Raise a Psychopath?" That has GOT to be the WORST advice for punishment EVER! I really feel sorry for your children, and your children's children because you are screwing up generations of babies.

Try what Moonrush, Erika, and cleanatural said first. Always try teaching with love and affection, not with hate and physical abuse.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

Seriously?? I'm glad I'm not your kid. Sheesh.
    Ignore the screaming and kicking. Try any number of things the other smart ladies have said for the biting.
    Gaia_Rain

Answer by Gaia_Rain at 1:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• 10-15 minutes? The kid is only 3! The rule is- one minute per year of life... the max should be 3 minutes in time out for this young one.

How can any mother turn her back and ignore her child's screams of pain? I've never had to deal with biting from any of my kids- I'm lucky that way. However- I still know that this is some BAD advice. Please, choose some of the more loving methods first!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The second Answer is ridiculous. Children of that age react so much better when given options. When my daughter starts acting out, I ask her calmly if she's done. If she says no, then I ask her to let me know when she is so that I can talk to her calmly and I keep doing what I was doing. She goes on for another minute or so and then comes up to climb in my lap. Everything is peachy.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• you need to set consistant clear rules and you need to decide what the consiquences will be for breaking those rules and then you just need to stick with it and make sure that the child understands what he did wrong, what the right thing to do would be and remind him of the consiquences. AS far as what those consiquences are... well,that is up to you really. In my home it is a time out chair or the nose to the wall. If the behavior is directly disobediant, disrespectful or dishonest, or dangerous... its a spanken. Screaming would be a time out in my home, but bitting. NO WAY that would be a spanken right there and then. Same with kicking. Some people have issue with spanking, that is there problem not mine. Chose what will work best for your family and then stick with it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2009