Is the flute a "boy" intrument?

My eleven year old son is considering joining band next year and keeps bringing up playing the flute. I don't want him to play the flute, I don't think its a masculine instrument. I would rather he play the trumpet, saxaphone, or french horn or any brass instrument. I always see girls playing the flute. What do you think? Ultimately it is his decision and I will let him play what he wants.....

fawn321

Asked by fawn321 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Okay miss anonymous, no reason to be rude and to tell people to grow up. It truly is a masculine instrument and I was in band in high school. A mother trying to save her son the ineveditable pain he will go through if he plays the flute. I do mean will go through. You would love to believe that society has changed in that high school children will be accepting of a boy who plays a flute, but he will be taunted. I am more than positive that the boys that played flute in your high school did have days where they maybe cried when they got home because someone made fun of him for playing the flute and were called very harsh names. At the same time, if it makes him happy, he should be aware of what might happen and then support him in his decision. When he is very unhappy about the taunts but want to continue his instrument, be there for him and support his decision. But if he decides to trade instruments, also be supportive.
    MONATANKGIRL

Answer by MONATANKGIRL at 12:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yeah I would talk him out of it! He will definitely get his ass kicked if he's tooting on a flute. I'm not being rude just honest. If he still wants to play the flute, fine, Pick one up and he can play it in the privacy of his own home-it can be a fun little secret between you and him;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think it should be his decision regardless. However, all the flutists in my jr high band were female. But he could be the next great flute player so you should let him. He may get in there and want to change instruements but if he doesnt, stick by him.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I am not sure what would be wrong with him playing the flute, it is a beautiful instrument and I don't see how it is either masculine or feminine
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 12:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It's true you typically see girls playing the flute, but I see no reason why he couldn't if he wanted to. However, he may get teased because most kids will see it as a girl's instrument. If peer pressure doesn't bother him and he still wants to, I think you are right to allow it.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Are you people serious? Have you ever been to highschool? OP Please listen to me and your gut feeling on this one....somebody needs to give this kid a heads up and tell him not to play the flute!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Why in the WORLD would you as his mother, have a problem with him choosing the flute because it's not "masculine"?! Seriously, grow up!! I played the flute in band when I was in jr. high, and yes there was a couple boys who played.

I think it would be good for him to know that he should do what he wants, because it's what he WANTS, not because of what people will think of him. If you encourage him not to play the flute, that right there is teaching him that he should do what society sees as acceptable. That's WRONG. He's at the age that he starts to learn how to make his own choices, and I think as a parent it would be smartest to teach him to never put up a front and act fake so that people will like him. If people dont like him because he plays the flute then they can just shove it up their asses!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks MOMATANKGIRL....I'm sooo glad somebody agrees w/ me on this one. I thought I was going to go insane. For some reason I'm really emotionally involved w/ this question. lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would let him play the flute and tell him you support whatever he wants to play. If the kids make fun of him he will likely stop, and will never be stuck saying " I always wanted to play the flute in high school but my mother never approved." (making it your fault)

Or.... He will totally love it, never care what the other kids say and get a full scholarship to an expensive college because of it.  Just think.....

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:44 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• In fact I always wanted to play the flute but my parents wouldn't let me and made me try the claranet instead. I was bored with it and dropped it after 5 months. Then I never did any other activities in school , I spent most of my free time smoking pot :) true story. Let the kid try the flute, your lucky he has interests.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2009