HOW CAN I GET MY DACHSHUND TO STOP DEMANDING ALL MY HUSBANDS ATTENTION?

MY DACHSHUND ALWAYS BARKS WHEN MY HUBBIE & I HUG ,KISS, OR EVEN TOUCH! HE EVEN LICKS HIM EVERY NITE ON HIS LEGS FOR AN HOUR AND THEN SLEEPS ON HIS MANLY "AREA" WE ARE A HAPPY COUPLE BUT SSHEEEESH! I WANT SOME TIME W/ MY HUSBAND ! HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pets

• I JSUT SAW AN EPISODE OF SOME DOG SHOW ABOUT THIS, LOL. YOU HAVE TO BE THE DOMINANT 1. YOU AND HUB ESPECIALLY ARE LETTING THE DOG BE THE DOMINANT. WHENEVER YOU TWO TOUCH OR KISS AND THE DOG BARKS, YOUR HUB SHOULD FIRMLY TELL HIM NO, AND PUT HIM IN ANOTHER ROOM FOR A FEW MINUTES. PROCEED TO DO THIS EVERYTIME AND I MEAN EVERYTIME HE BARKS. THE 1ST TIME HE DOES NOT BARK, GIVE HIM PRAISE. GOOD BOY. AND SLOWLY ALLOW HIM BACK NEAR YOU. HOPEFULLY HE WILL REALIZE ITS OK TO LET YOU TWO BE NEAR EACH OTHER. AS FAR AS THE DOG SLEEPING ON HIS MANLY AREA, WE USE USED TO LET OUR 2 DOGS LAY IN BED WITH US, BUT THEY WERE WANTING ALL OUR ATTENTION AND NOT LETTING US HAVE OUR TIME, SO WE DO NOT ALLOW THEM IN OUR ROOM AT ALL ANYMORE. THE DOGS ARE FINE WITH IT. WE THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE SAD, BUT THEY GOT OVER IT. WE HAVE A YORKIE AND A SILKY TERRIER. AGAIN ITS ABOUT SHOWING DOMINANCE. HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK!
    DIZICKLE

Answer by DIZICKLE at 11:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The reply above is correct, must have been Dog Whisperer with Cesar Milan. Great show. You should check it out on National Geographic. Your husband and you need to be a team and be the pack leaders. If the dog attempts to bite at you Cesar says to not back away to continue moving forward, when you back away your giving him power by showing fear. Also work on One Word commands: Stop, Sit, Down, Stay etc. Animals sense fear and if you show this he will know it. I recommend checking out some Dog Whisperer DVD's, he's very helpful and I cant go into full detail here on other techniques to have the dog be submissive rather than dominate but it starts with your hubby and you working as a team! Good luck!
    PyraLynne

Answer by PyraLynne at 12:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I, too, have a dachshund who demands attention. Both of you need to ignore him when he demands attention and praise him when you want to give affection. A firm "no" or removal to another room will do the trick. Dachshunds are smart, manipulative, wonderful dogs, who will get the message sooner or later.
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 2:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008