Would you sacrifice quality for cost?

In attempts to be frugal, I have found a salon in my very small town that only charges 6 bucks for a childs haircut. Not only am I saving 6 bucks from what I used to pay, but I am also saving the gas of driving all the way to the next town.

However the haircuts aren't that great. Not horrible, just not great.

This time, actually the 4 yo's bangs are not straight at all. And he wasn't moving all that much.

I know, it shouldn't even be a question, I should want them to look their best, but they are only 2 and 4..... 24 bucks for them both to get a haircut is just not that reasonable to me. (and that doesn't include tip)

Am I being just really really cheap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I mean only you know what is feasible for you and everyone is experiencing tough times right now; sometimes you gotta do whata you gotta do. And they are 2 & 4, there isn't really any peer influence or teasing about that kind of stuff at those ages. Also, 6 bucks or not I would nicely point out whatever mistake was made to the stylist. They came up with the price, not you; they need to do thier job correctly regardless of price. Even though, yeah, I know you get what you pay for, but crooked bangs is a bit much, JMO, though. You do what you can when you can. When you can splurge for the better salon great in the meantime, its $6 haircuts I'm just glad you found a deal. I pay $12 and thier not always fabulous cuts.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I always sacrifice quality for cost, it's my bad habit.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 2:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I haven't found that spending more necessarily means better when it comes to haircuts.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I always done it my self! I never had the money to pay for it! All we have for food a week is 26 dollars! I can mess it up without paying someone else too! OMG!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have only ever cut my children's hair (boys). You can buy a buzz/trim set at beauty supply stores for around $50-$60 (the equivalent of 2 trips to the salon plus gas and tip), and do it whenever you need to!

My kids always look sharp (bangs straight too!), and the more you practice the easier it gets, and the kids get used to it too!

I figure in 7 years, I've probably saved over $2000 by doing it myself. But that's because I have boys and they need trims and "touch ups" more frequently--about every 6-8 weeks. If I had girls, I wouldn't bother cutting their hair (maybe just bangs), until they were old enough to request a haircut! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Nothing, sorry I have learned in my older years that cheaper is not always better so I have stopped doing that!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• No you're not! They are too little to care about hair and you can always re trim bangs yourself. Just leave the major cutting to them!
    PAMA50

Answer by PAMA50 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think your a good mom just by getting their hair cut! I mean, I see little boys around here on Ft. benning that look like girls cause they dont want to spend 5 dollers at the PX to get their hair cut. Its rediculas.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• most of the time I cut my sons hair....always have I cut DH hair as well. Why not go and buy a pair of clippers and/or scissors and try cutting it your self??
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• At their age, the $6 haircut is good enough. I have done that and then when I get home I fix what they missed. (I couldn't find a barber shop when I moved here for my boys). Now when they are older, no, I'd spend the extra for them. Have you tried taking boys to a local barber, their cuts are usually cheaper and very quality! I always take my sons to a local barber shop (if you can even find one left these days).
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009