What urban legend did you grow up hearing?

I grew up with the Llorona... I'v heard a few different versions of the legend, but it basically is the same.

A ghost woman who killed her babies and late at night you could hear her crying as she searches for them by the river.

geminisummerz

Asked by geminisummerz at 12:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The train that hit the school bus full of kids and killed them all. They say If you put dust on your back bumper and put your car in neutral and sit right on the tracks your car will move off the tracks and when you get out and look on your bumper there will be small finger prints on it.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Bloody Mary. If you said her name three times in the mirror, in the dark, she will come and kill you. I was at a sleepover one time and the girls mom made us to it to prove it was false. Super scary when you are 12
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If you sit to close to the TV you will go blind. Hey mom I still have perfect vision lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Sunkiss did you know that came from a story about a burnt down orphanage? It was actually on unsolved mysteries, they put the dust on the trunk of a car and sat on the train tracks. I don't know the whole story, but it supposedly happened about 25 minutes from where I live.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i lived on Okinawa, Japan & some of the bloodiest battles of WWII were faught on it. there are ALL sorts of creepy legends. but the worst was the stump lady! the legend goes that she was a woman who had her arms & legs blown off & now she roams the outdoor hallways at one of the elementary schools. we would sneak out to the school and wait but we would get scared & run home. it had to be midnight to see her & we could never wait that long
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• oh wow I didn't know that stifflersmom. I always thought it was some urban legend or something. I guess people just tweaked the story alittle through the years.
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 1:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• That if you are going bridge jumping in the canal (Erie Canal, in New York) to watch out so you don't land in a cow...
    I guess one year a guy lost a few of his cows, and they were rumored to have drowned in the canal, so you didn't want to land in a carcuss.. however it was fund to be not true.

what you do have to watch out for is car dumpers though.. they find a car or two a year in that canal... that would hurt far more than a cow.

also grew up with Bloody mary, oh and big foot in the back yard of my grandparents house.. lmao (okay so their neighbor is a little off her rocker).

we did have the FBI down the road from where I grew up for some crop circles though.. that was pretty cool.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:28 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I wonder if alot of them start out true, then through the years get told by so many people and then you don't know the true story. The area is actually called 13 bends.
    Boston, Elizabeth Twp. Renzie Road - 13 bends up the hill, 12 bends down. Site of a long ago suicide by hanging. Other legends refer to an orphange that burned down - you can still hear and see remnants of this...(The suicide is supposed to be where the lovers parked and he got out of the car and in the morning when she went to look for him, he was hanging from the tree above the car)

Elizabeth - 13 Bends - It is said that there was an orphanage in the 1900's, and one day it burned down and all the children died. They can be heard crying for help and their hands seen reaching for visitors. Ghostly cars are known to chase you around the 13 bends.

StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Eww that's creepy. Would be neat in a way to see if but I am chicken lol
    sunkiss456

Answer by sunkiss456 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh I also grew up on the train track kids, so creepy. But I have a way to get through them, I pray and pray like crazy. I'm easily scared and praying is the only thing that gets me through it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2009