What's the best way to re-do a yard (please see description)

Both of our small yards need re-done this Spring. There's just very few patches of grass and TONS of weeds growing. We want to get rid of all of it and start from scratch with grass seed. So, what's the best way to get rid of the grass and weeds that we already have? Our front yard even has some weird netting under it. Do we need to pull things one by one, or is there a better way. THANKS!!!!

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• that weird netting is from your sod. Sod is basically grown to a spread of netting to hold it together.
    Pull the weeds by hand and toss them with your yard waste. Keep a bag with you to minimize the seeds being spread. Dont trim the weeds with a mower or a weed wacker because it will just spread seed and give you bigger problems.
    Then douse your dirt with weed killer and treat it that way. From this step on it may help to get a landscaper. Shouldnt be TOO expensive since they are small patches, and with the economy, you may get some good deals as people are looking for work.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• rotatiller, or however its spelled. then i recomend, kentucky blue grass, its pretty and i like it lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If not, just do as i said, then a few days after youve treated the dirt with weed killer, start planting your seed. I'm not sure if grass seed or infant grass can handle weed killer, so i dont know if you should continue treating the patches with weed killer until the grass is mature.
    Dont walk or tread on it at all, make sure it gets lots of sun and plenty of water in the beginning stages. Dont make it mud 24 hours or anything, but baby grass is thirsty.

I know about this because we just went through it. We tried going the grass seed route, and it didnt work. The seed just didnt take. It was cheaper, quicker, and easier to use sod.

redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• In reply to redderbedder:

I thought the netting was from the sod, but it's only in the front, and not in the back, and we tried sod twice and no new netting appeared. They must have used different stuff. :)

Thanks for the info!!!!!! I have very small yards, so just one bag of grass seed will be more than enough for both of them.

If I use a weed killer, how long should I wait before planting grass seed?
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You need to spray the whole yard with a weed and grass killer. When it has died dig it up and reseed. But first I would plan out what you want it to look like. If you want a whole bunch of flowers you don't ned to reseed that place. I have a lot of small dwarf trees and perrienals.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I just saw your second answer. :) Thanks again for the info! Like I said, we already tried sod, and no one on our street has any luck with it, but they do with seed for shade. So, that's what we've been told we have to get.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• yeah.. we get too much sun and it kills infant grass, so we needed mature sod.
    good luck!
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• we're fighting thatch. So i wish you the best.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Lay sod!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Laying sod is the best way to get rid of the weeds and dead grass we already have? I don't think so.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009