Is your 1 year old all of the sudden "testing his boundries?" What is going on here?

My 1 year old is such an awesome little man, but I'll tell you what...when he turned 1, he is all of the sudden starting to throw fits....I'm constantly telling him, "watch your temper little man!" Is this normal???

elismommee

Asked by elismommee at 12:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok, I'm all about my child psych class tonight, which says that kids this age are #1 asserting their independence as they are just discovering that they are separate people from their parents and 2# struggling to control their aggression as their frontal cortex hasn't developed to the point that they can see cause and effect too much yet. Bottom line, normal, healthy, and bound to make you pull your hair out.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:28 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My son just turned 10 months old and he has been doing this for a month. He throws himself back and on the floor and just cries! I tell him no and he listens most of the time but at other times he looks at me with a mischeivious look and does it any ways then laughs when I tell him no again, then if I have to grab him to make him stop he throws a fit,
    Fractal_mama

Answer by Fractal_mama at 1:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Exactly! He's all of the sudden like an acrobat child! I never knew he could bend back so far!!! Just like yours, he's a great listner, but man! he definetely shows his temperment sometimes!!!
    elismommee

Answer by elismommee at 1:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• haha! wait till he's 2.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My daughter just turned one and she has been throwing herself backwards when she dosen't get her way but it's only if someone is there to keep her from hitting the ground so she is definetly testing us and I've been sitting her on her butt and letting her throw her fitts. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it soon because I'm starting to lose my mind she does it 100 times a day just to try and get what she wants, I guess you could call that spoiled lol
    Brittney_Babee

Answer by Brittney_Babee at 10:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2009