Do you ever feel as if your social skills bite, and this negatively affects the way you are raising your kids?

As in, you have a hard time being a good example or teaching them how to get along with others and to make and keep friends? Do most parents struggle with this, or am I the only one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think I'm very awkward socially. I always feel like I'm being put off by people and that they think I'm a huge dork. I see my son going up to people and sometimes little kids are the same way. I hope he stays positive and open to other people. I am coming around though. I found a church 3 years ago, and the people there accept me. I hope they do the same for my little boy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I also tend to be socially awkward. Can I suggest something that I'm trying right now? I'm taking an interpersonal communication class right now at a community college. It has helped so much! Now I feel like I can help my kid communicate and interact socially too.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm mean...thats my problem. I tend to judge people the second I meet them, I am not tolerant of others views, I get angered easily, I don't keep my mouth in check. I'm loud and opinionated.
    I know this though and I try to not do it, esp in front of my son. But hey we're all diff and if your not social you don't have to be. Don't teach your kid that everyone has to be the same and be social. Some of the worlds greatest people have been recluses....Do you think Einstine had a lot of time for socializing when he was inventing all that stuff?
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm also very socially awkward, but my son is not. I have to remember that he is not me and I am not him. I let him follow his own social pulls and if it means I have to step outside of my comfort zone, then that's what I do...for him. If it was just me, I'd spend my life pretty much in my apartment quietly reading with the curtains closed. I've actually found that letting him lead me socially has helped me be more comfortable - when he's my focus, everyone else isn't and I worry less about what they say or think. I just let my son be the social focus, so it's more comfortable for me. He likes that...and I also find that I spend more time with kids, which is easier for me than peers.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009