Do you think that being depressed and on medication is a good reason to stop having kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. Only you can decide that on your own though. I think if Andrea Yates had medication for her depression and her husband didn't keep impregnating her, she woouldn't of drowned her five babies. Mothers need a break! I get really stressed out sometimes with just two! Not enough that I feel i'm depressed, but I definately see how some mothers can get depressed. If I didn't have a job or ever get out of the house, I would DEFINATELY be depressed!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• depends. Are you depressed because of your kids, and does if affect your parenting? If so then yes I do think that is a good reason to stop having kids
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes at least temporarily. That's not a good situation to bring kids into and it probably won't help make the situation better anyhow.
    If you don't mind my saying, it's much better to get therapy for the depression, rather than taking drugs. Drugs mask the symptoms, counseling gets to the root of the problem
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• micahsmom said it best!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:10 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes. for now:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes I do. And I'm in the same boat, we have to know our own limits and not feel like bad mothers for heeding them momma. Good lucK!

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes. I would stop trying to have children until I got better. I agree with the counseling statement above.
    fawn321

Answer by fawn321 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009