I feel so horrible....

My 1 year old has been testing his little boundries lately, and tonight I really raised my voice to him and that made him cry...... and I feel so horrible! Anyone else feel so bad after they lose their patience?

elismommee

Asked by elismommee at 1:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes! Find a way to plan out how you want to deal with these situations in the future to avoid repeats.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes. If i raise my voice or my husband raises his, it makes me cry. We have found other ways like time out instead of yelling at him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yes I feel soooo bad when I yell at him. Sometimes it scares him. I want him to respect me but not be afraid of me. BUT if i comfort him after i yell at him it only makes it seem like whatever he did wrong is ok to do again and again
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i've done it a couple of times as well...we are all human after all. I feel horrible afterward and it usually only gets bad when I've just had enough of everything at the end of the day. So try to steer clear of frustrating situations. Time outs for them work and also for you...or go outside with them, that works for us.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Somestime you have to to get your message across.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• First of all, you are human, so don't be too hard on yourself! To ensure that it doesn't happen again, come up with a way that you can redirect your child by being firm but not yelling. I have found that the best way to redirect my 2 year old is to simply talk to him and explain WHY Mommy doesn't want him doing something in particular.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago and it bothered me for an entire day. I eventually got over it but it was so sad to see her start crying because I scared her. Hang in there, I think it's normal every once in awhile.
    OutKast

Answer by OutKast at 6:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009