Highway robbery. Driving while black in rural Texas will get you robbed by cops.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10,0,6051682.story

Are these cops racists or just criminals preying on the easiest looking targets, and what should be done with them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband is cop in rural Texas and he nor any of his cop friends have ever done anything like that. You shouldn't lump them all together. It can be very offensive to moms like me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• anthing and everything you say will offend someone. Dont take post so personally.... noone knows you or what you r husband does. wth????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Ummm...did you miss the part where one of the families had a pipe used for smoking marijuana? The reasonable assumption is that the large quantity of cash and pipe=drug activity. I realize that might not apply to all of the cases, and the policy definitely needs to be redone.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 1:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Did you miss the part that said it was a brand-new UNUSED pipe meant as a present for someone else, and they had to give up their money or LOSE THEIR KIDS??? The authorities who contacted the victims wouldn't be investigating and filing charges unless they had targeted innocent individuals, possibly because of their color.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yeah, I've got this Uzi, it's a gift for someone else, I wasn't going to do anything with it. Honest. They had to give up their (alleged) drug money and their pipe or the state's CPS office would be involved, sounds pretty reasonable to me. Like I said, the policy needs to be examined and changed, but I'd be shocked if someone was pulled over and found w/a pipe and large amount of cash and nothing was done about it.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 2:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Also, it is lovely that you are posting inflammatory things anonymously. If you feel so strongly about this situation, why not make it known publicly?
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 2:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Okay, what about the rest of the victims?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• This is NOT inflammatory, this is in the news--it is a current event! And people like YOU are why I post anon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Right. People like me who state an opinion and don't hide. Oooh I'm so horrible.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 2:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• This is posted to get everyones opinion. now you stated yours, fine, let somebody else have a turn, this isn't posted to start a fight with you, though you seem hell-bent on trying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009