Can anyone explain to me what exactly socialism is please without bashing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Simply put, communism is where basically everything (businesses, etc) is owned by and ran by the government, the profits go to the government, etc. You cannot own your own business or anything like that. The workers get a wage, and are supposedly all "equal", and all their needs as far as housing, food, medical care, etc, are provided by the State. This has been proven to not work, human nature just isn't compatible with this at all.

Socialism is very similar, only you are able to own your own business, and make a profit, but that a large part of the profit is taken with taxes, so as to more equally "distribute the wealth" to people who, for whatever reason, aren't as profitable.

Capitalism, or Free Market Enterprise, says you work, you keep what you earn, and basically you sink or swim as you're able.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There is a book out there that I suggest you read, it's called 1984 by George Orwell. It was suggested to me when I took a History Class at the college... Google it too, it's really informative.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Russia
    Anonymous

• Government pretty much controls everything in you life and makes decisions that should be private and up to you.
    Fractal_mama

Answer by Fractal_mama at 1:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Socialism is defined as, “systems of social organization in which the means of producing and distributing goods is owned collectively or by a centralized government that often plans and controls the economy.” The idea under socialism is that everyone pays taxes and the government provides its citizens with the things that they need. While appealing to many people, socialism is wrong. As famed French economist Frederic Bastiat put it, “The [socialist] state is the great fictitious entity by which everyone seeks to live at the expense of everyone else.” Socialism is bad because it is condescending, inefficient, and immoral.
    It is the stage following capitalism in the transition of a society to communism, characterized by the imperfect implementation of collectivist principles.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• There are lots of varying degrees of Socialism, and most Capitalistic Societies have a certain amount of Socialism (which I think the majority of us would think is a good thing, after all, societies do need to provide for those who can't provide for themselves).

The problem is at what point does this go too far? At what point do we cross the line into too much

Because as Thomas Jefferson said "A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have."

It's a very fine line we need to walk, and the problem is, we don't all agree on where that line should be...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• btw, I tried to provide you an impartial answer as to the definitions, but personally, I do not want us to be a Socialist country. I've lived in a Socialist country before when we were stationed there, and I've lived here (in the US, with a more Capitalist society).

I believe in what I think of as compassionate capitalism. Yes, we have programs like welfare, etc, but we should have an across the board tax, and or a flat "consumption tax", to pay for it. We should not penalize those who have more, and take proportionally more from them, simply because they have more than me. Because I don't want what I have taken from me for those who have less. I want that to be MY choice what I choose to give (above and beyond the same % that everyone else has to give of theirs), not up to the government to take, because they think I have more than my share...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Good job sailor...I'll take capitalism which has worked for over 200 yrs.We have enough government run programs and government control already imo.We see how well it works HA.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2009