Is it wrong...

To try & sell baby kittens when we can't afford to get their shots?? This is the second litter our cat has had, & all was going as planned (just like the first).......until a few weeks after they were born & we found out that now I'm expecting!! We werent (& still basically arent) financially ready for a child, so with the saving & the spending on baby stuff...we forgot about the kittens shots! We cant afford to get them done by the time people will want baby kittens (wouldnt be able to afford it til we get our tax refund, which would make the kittens 14+ weeks old...) so is it wrong to give them to their new owners without the shots???

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Don't give the kittens for free, but only charge a nominal fee, like $5.00/each since they aren't purebred and don't have shots. People tend to value something they pay for more than something they get free, even if it is just a little price. It's fine, most people don't expect kittens to have shots unless they are purebreds. Try and sell them before they get so old, 8-10 weeks is the perfect age. That's when they are the cutest. Any sooner is too young, any older and they get into the lanky "teen" look. And susie, the shot for feline leukemia is not given to a kitten until it is at least 6 months old, and is not part of the 6-way kitten panel. But do make sure the owners know the kittens haven't had shots.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:23 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Tell the new owners they don't have their shots. How much are you charging? I would give them for free, especially since you can adopt them for cheap with their shots.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I dont see a problem with "giving" them to people. I just wouldnt "sell" them without taking them for a check-up, having them wormed and getting their shots.
    Fractal_mama

Answer by Fractal_mama at 1:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Congratulations on your pregnancy. I really wish you the best. On to the question. Yes I do think it is wrong to sell kittens without their shots. Give away yes only if it is made clear they have no shots. I pity the child that gets a kitten only to have it dye within a year from feline aids or leukemia.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• you can adopt for cheap?? wow, last time i tried it cost me $185 from the local kill-pound which was the cheapest!! we sold the others for $75 a piece no problem, so with these we were thinking of $20 or so...we already have the send-home care package that cost about that per kitten (we bought them the day after they were born)...but i guess if we have to might as well just give them away...thanks
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• oh wow okay thank you pagan mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009