• In the Spotlight:

My son is in the 9TH grade what can i do to encourage him to do better?

My son is in the 9Th grade he is 14 years old. He has been struggling with his grades he is like a roller coaster ride with his grades in all his classes. His 3 grades are Cs and B's and the other 3 are Es I try to talk to him about it and he tells me he is bored that he can do the work but just don't want to. I did have a meeting with all his teachers in the beginning of the 2nd quarter and my son told them he will do better now we are in the middle of the 3rd quarter and still the same. then i went to the principal to speak with him concerning my son and told him that i do not want my son to fail and we need to help him maybe he needs tutoring i told him please help my son I do not want my son to fall through the cracks. My son does not miss school he has great attendance he is respectful to all his teachers. Please what can I do to help my son to do better?

faith01261

Asked by faith01261 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• That's about the same age my son started doing poorly in school. It wasn't that he "couldn't" do the work- he just "didn't" do the work. He clearly told you he didn't want to do the work. So if he doesn't want to do it, there's nothing the school can do about that. It doesn't sound like he has a learning disability- he's just lazy. I don't say that to be mean- my son was lazy and didn't do his work. He ended up failing 8th grade and he quickly learned his lesson. He's now 17 and his year to graduate should be next year. The closer that date comes, the more he sees how wrong HE was. He is now working double and trying to catch up on credits so he can graduate with his class. So far so good but he's paying for it now. He has little time for other things. I tell him he has to make mistakes to learn a lesson. And this was a BIG lesson. You can only do so much. He has to do his part too.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• What is it with 14 year old boys?! My son is just 16 and in 10th grade, but started the slacking off last year too. To make matters worse he doesn't care when we punish I mean we have taken EVERYTHING and it didn't phase him so we now reward instead. When the first 5 week report of the year came all his classes said he is not working up to potential/not doing HW when the first report card came his grades were low A's/ high B's, but with a little effort he can get all high A's so I made him a deal. For every point a class raises on the next report card he gets $1, BUT for every point they drop he owes me $1 also for every "not working to potential" he owes me $5, and if ANY teachers say he's not doing HW ALL teachers sign his agenda so I can check his HW like a 2nd grader. On the 2nd report card we broke even, and he was still not doing HW so I emailed all his teachers and have them sign his agenda everyday. CONT>>>
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• CONT>>>
    If he doesn't have all the teachers sign, he looses 1/2 hour of cell phone per teacher, which increased to include 1 hr of video game use for each not signed class. He is so stubborn that he is losing privileges every day by only having some teachers sign, but there is really only so much we can do!
    Good luck and I will be looking back here for ideas too!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• some classes are boring I would agree with your son maybe some tutoring would help.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 3:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• maybe isn't being challenged enough. if he is then get him a tutor
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009