Redecorating

I need some good color schemes that will flow from my living room to my kitchen and some ideas for the whole house really.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I like dark colors...like mauve or dark greens with black accents...but thats just me
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• go to lowes and grab the little books at the paint displays.. they ahve color schemes. Behr.com also has a tool which lets you "paint" rooms and see what works best together.
    If you stick with "themes" such as nature.. you cant go wrong.

Blue+Brown always works, Cream and green.. so on and so on. It really 100% depends on your personal style.. another thing to do would be order catalogs from places like pottery barn, Ikea, restoration hardware, Cb2, and so on... then take those catalogs and rip out the pages that speak to you. They dont have to all be similar colors, its ok not to have perfect flow. My living room is blue.. bathroom is yellow.. hallways are doeskin.. dining is green.. kitchen is cream.. but they all flow because they are all natural and light. Thats it.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 4:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• ratemyspace.com at hgtv.com will help. upload a picture and other people will give you tips too.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I prefer to use neutral colors and then accent with other colors. My kitchen/dining area is ivory with red, gold and green apple accents, my living room is ivory with sage green, blue and taupe accents; my bedroom is beige with "lodge" accents in browns and forest greens; my bathroom is white with blue accents. Makes it a lot easier to change color schemes--all you have to do is change the accent colors. For example, I want to change my kitchen/dining area to sunflowers. All I have to change are the valances over the windows, the placemats and my towels, along with any wall decorations.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm a Residential Planner and an Interior Design student. If you give me an idea of your style I might be able to help you out.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:30 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• We recently purchased a home that was 60 years old. It was built with a sunken living room. There is a window between it and the kitchen on one end and a smaller narrow slot that opens into the dining (craft ) area. To make the areas flow I chosedark earthy tones for the base colors, and then took a cream to offset them. The living room is a earthy brown with a rust colored carpet ( which was already in the house). The ceiling is white with country blue trim which was also in the house. The kitchen is white with a barn red wall. We are putting in a shelf on the living room side of the window in a forest green. I took the red from the kitchen and found a small print wallpaper which I used on one end of the room, and then painted the rest of the room the neutral shade of the background on the wallpaper.
    cheesybite

Answer by cheesybite at 2:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• cheesybite, do you have any pictures of your space. Cause I'm going to be honest, that sounds WAY too busy and the colors don't seem to flow well (barn red with blue and earth brown). I'm not trying to get on your home, it's just the visual I'm getting sounds awkward. I'm sure it looks fine though.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 7:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My grandmother used to say GREEN goes with 155 shades of green! When you think about it, it does! Green is a neutral collor and green can be found in bedspreads and curtains and everything. I go with a neutral color on walls GREEN IS WARM and cosy, but stay in the neutral zone with walls cause you can change up when bord with it. Just go with 3 colors and keep it in the same family-like JEWEL TONES or the other, whatever you like. GOOGLE it for the colors cause i don't remember. I went to walmart tonight and the new color is a burnt red color and i love it! They had towels and applinces and everything in that new color and browns too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I love this idea, seen it on TV years ago! Get a big square pole like 'RAILROAD TIES" but for a fence pole 4by4 and drill holes in it different sizes to match BAMBOO poles, and glue them in,stain and varnish the pole first, then put greenery below on pole. It makes a room divider you can see through but defines the space! Orential looking!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• if you want, you can e-mail me pics of the rooms, and I can show you what different color schemes actually look like in the rooms.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009