How sad is this?

My husband is Hispanic and his first language is Spanish. I asked him tonight how to say "I love you" in Spanish and he did not know. I was surprised and asked him, "How do you not know how to say I love you in Spanish??" He said he had never heard it before. I asked if his mom ever told him that she loved him and he said no!! He doesn't remember her ever once saying "I love you" to him or his sister in his whole life!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• Awww that truly is sad!!! How can you not tell your kids you love them? I probably tell my kids that 100+ times a day - so sad
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 3:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Aww... you should learn how to say it and surprise him with it by saying it to him just out of the blue. I think it would show him that even though he ddn't know because he never heard it, that you love him enough to look it up, learn it, and say it too him.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• That is so sad! I don't think we threw it around a lot when I was little either so I overcompensated with my own little family :) I do believe it's "te amo" though.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 5:28 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Te amo is literally I love you. But te quiero (I want you) is more often spoken between romantic partners, I believe. I could be wrong, though. It's been a lot of years...

Yes, that is sad. But perhaps she is not a woman of words, and her actions spoke for themselves?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• That is sad but, I have to admit that makes no sense to me. Thats like me saying I don't know how to say "I like cake" b/c I never heard it. It's pretty much just stringing words together. I mean he's never heard it in a movie or on tv, or from anyone at all... that just sounds really, really strange. I mean can you imagine talking to a grown man in English and him not recognizing the sentence "I love You" because he told you he never heard it? I'm sorry but I think he is being dramatic or lying...Unless he has never had a conversation with a single other spanish speaker other than his family, then I take it back.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• It is probably a cultural thing. He knows but not very comfortable of saying it. Mind you I grew up not knowing it either and until now I have never say it to any member of my family. Not to my parents and siblings. We don't even hug or anything. I admit this created a problem in my first marriage. I just couldn't open up. When my husband says I love u, I couldn't say it back. The way my family has learn't showing affection is buy buying and giving gifts.

I have learned though and not I can say it more and more to my so called 2nd husband except when I am angry.

Trust me if he learn to completely trust you and emotionally deeply connected with you he will start saying it. So don't give up.
    MisV

Answer by MisV at 2:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I grew up never hearing it from my mother, those words are hard for me to say today. I love my son, it just hard to say it to him. It was hard to even say it to my husband when we were married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Mar. 14, 2009