pet or no pet?

I've been thinking about getting a family kitten or puppy, but hubby isn't too sure of the idea. DS is fourteen months and is very affectionate and smart. What is your opinion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd wait for a dog, if you're getting a big one. Our golden really beats up my 3 year old, I worry about how she'll do with a baby.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:05 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i grew up with big dogs and i never had a problem. i think all children should have some typr of pet. everydog i have owned from my chihuahua to my pit bull have been very loveing and gentle towards little ones. in my experience with cats they dont take well to being carried around and "picked"on. their claws hurt too.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 5:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would hold off on a puppy. Puppies are a LOT of work (and I don't like caring for puppies, personally).

That being said! I have a cat and a dog, and have had them since DD was born. The dog has had a harder time adjusting--the dog was my baby, and isn't coddled like he used to be. Overall, both cat and dog have adjusted well to LO.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Dogs are great. I"d recommend getting a 2 year old dog. No reason to raise two babies. And be sure to take to dog training. THere are some really good breeds. I have a cocker spaniel and lab mix. He's very sweet and good with my dd. If he doesn't liek anything he lets out a little growl to warn her and moves out of the way. She hits him and climbs, so Iw ouldn't recommend a smaller dog. They are more likely to get hurt by that and possibly react. Too big a dog might try to climb and jump on your child. So try to find a middle ground.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• we're in the process of moving into our new house and we plan on getting a puppy as soon as we get settled in. Our daughter just turned a year. We're leaning toward a huskie or german sheppard puppy. My aunt has a little dog and she loves playing with it so I think she'ss do good with a puppy.
    Brittney_Babee

Answer by Brittney_Babee at 10:31 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my hubby and I are in the same boat.. we have a 19 mo old son.. we had 3 dogs before, and we have greyhounds, they are very good with kids.. but, we are waiting till our son is old enough to know not to pull the tail and ears. about 4 years old.
    shy_ismy1stgrey

Answer by shy_ismy1stgrey at 11:10 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• NO PET. Trust me on this. Wait until your youngest child is 5 years old. Some of the reasons are this: cleaning up after a pet AND toddler, constantly protecting your child from scratches and bites (which can make him sick), constantly protecting your pet from tail pulls and blunt force trauma (think of every toy your child owns as a weapon!), having a litter pan to tempt your little one's curiosity, hoping your child doesn't find a "kitty surprise" before you do (poo, hairballs, rodents or birds offered up for sacrifice), additional vet bills on top of doctor bills, and just the hassle in general. I had to move in with my mother and father for a few months and I got SO sick of the animals and the animal messes and the cat hair in EVERYTHING. Plus, the cat litter pan was right outside of our bedroom, which was disgusting. And they had an indoor/outdoor cat that had worms that made me worried my kid would get them too. YUCK.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2009