how old do you have to be...

...to adopt and what is the process? I'm still young but have always had a heart for the child without loving families. Just want a brief idea of what to do and how old I have to be, financial situation and so on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Adoption

• Most guidelines require that you be at least 21. If you are adopting as a married couple, you have to be married for two or more years. If you're thinking about going through the foster care system, you're financial situation needs to be stable enough to cover your own bills, but you don't need to be wealthy. They will consider your past: criminal records, work history, mental stability, health. Your home will be assesed to make sure you have room for a child and that it's safe.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• 21 is the usual age here. I would copy the post before mine. I agree on all of that. Good luck! I'm always willing to answer questions. We have been through the adoption process 3 times and I worked with CPS for 11 years.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 9:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Catholic Charities requires couples to have been married for at least 3 years and both parties to be 25 or older.

Going through a state department of children and families (or something similar) probably has much less stringent requirements.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 4:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009