6 y/o peein pants during day

my 6 year old wets the bed at night and that isnt what bothers me, at night i understand that he sleeps really hard and sometimes just can't wake up. but i get really ticked off cause he does it during the day when he is playing outside or just to lazy to get up and go use the restroom. go ahead and bash away but i kinda need some advise from someone who had been here. i nkow taht he knows when he has to pee and when we talk about it he says its cause he didnt wanna stop playing or miss his show. sometimes he lies about it. i have tried time out, i praise him when he uses the potty, i talk about it, i always make him rinse it out himself(this is where i know that im gonna get the bashes) i have put him in diapers(he gets embarassed but hey its his choice) i was giving him cold showers(he hated it)but it worked for a couple of weeks and im gonna start again if it keeps happening and no one can give me other advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you using diapers or pull-ups often? If so, he is probably confused. Make sure he is only in underwear so he can feel the wetness and maybe place a pad in the bed to protect the mattress. Remind him to go potty for awhile until he gets more consistent with it. Make sure if he does go in his pants because he is busy playing or watching a show that he does have to stop playing or watching TV to change clothes. Having to leave the TV room or stop playing is a natural consequence to wetting his pants.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• When outside keep reminding him. He may get embarrassed of you asking him if he has to go "potty" in front of his friends and go himself. Do you have dvr or tivo? If you do, teach him to put his shows on pause.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I had this exact same problem with my son for like 9 months he would have accidents at school at recess because his playtime out side is limited and he didn't want to stop to go in and pee. he even done it if he was plying in his room or something. I also made him help clean up his own messes and would tell him that it takes longer to clean up the mess then it does to just go use the restroom, and go back to playing plus it was alot less embarrassing. Right before he quit I started telling him that kids don't like playing with other kids that pee in their pants because they smell like pee when they do. (Go ahead bash away) but it is true and I quess it worked because he quit doing it within a week or two after telling him that everytime he done it.
    mommaKAT4

Answer by mommaKAT4 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Just be patient with him he'll quit before to long I'm sure
    mommaKAT4

Answer by mommaKAT4 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My soon to be 8 yr old still wets the bed. We had trouble with her doing the exact same thing. She wears pullups to bed every night. Some days she's dry, some she's not. When she's playing outside, we'd yell out to her to come in and go potty. We made her clean her own messes. Even in stores she would pee her pants instead of tell us she had to go. It is a control issue. It's one thing that they can control. We started making her sit at the dining room table. Couldn't go out to play because it was too far from the bathroom. She quickly learned not peeing her pants was more fun.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009