I HAVE MY GRANDSON HIS MOTHER HASNT SEEN HIM IN 21 MONTHS HE IS 2 YEARS OLD I LOVE HIM WITH ALL MY HEART I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO GET HIS LAST NAME CHANGED

HIS DAD SEES HIM AND AS FAR AS HIS MOM AND ALL HER FAMILY THEY HAVNT SEEN HIM SINCE HE WAS 3 MONTHS OLD HE LIVES WITH ME WE SUPPOSELY HAVE JOINT COSTODY OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVNT KEPT THERE AGREEMENT AND THATS GOOD BUT HE HAS HER LAST NAME AND MY SON AND GRANDSON TOOK DNA AND WE HAVE THE RESULTS HE IS 99.99 MY SONS KID SO HOW DO WE CHANGE HIS LAST NAME PLEASE HELP

GRANDMOTHER240

Asked by GRANDMOTHER240 at 4:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• What does that mean? He's 99.99 your son's kid..? The test was 99.99% accurate?

You normally cannot get a name changed without BOTH parents consent. You may be able to get around that because of abandonment, if she has had NO contact, and has not attempted to contact the child, you may be able to change the name without her consent.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Unless your son goes for a name change, you are out of luck. You said you have joint custody..is that you or your son? At any rate it is going to take all of you working together with the courts to make this happen...and last name changes are not free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I private messaged you my answer... will be going thru something similar soon also...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I had my sons last name legally changed when he was a toddler. I was required by law to advertise in my local paper, and the local papers of his last known address, to give him the legal oppurtunity to object. The NY state judge gave him additional time to respond. HE never did, and my sons name was legally was changed to mine...
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 11:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You could probably get her parental rights taken away. Thats just about the only way to have it done. Her rights taken away or she has to agree to it being changed which i doubt she'll do. Get a lawyer. Ask your lawyer to get the custody changed and sue for child support. She'll probably give him up if she knows she has to take some kind of responsibility. I just don't know how a mom could abandon her own child. Anyway good luck.
    Anonymous