Gaining enough weight?

Ok I went on last monday for my 37 week appt. I am having a boy on March 24th. My ob is worried cause I only gained 7 pounds through out the whole 9 MONTHS! She said I should have gained 20 plus pounds by now. So she says I need an ultrasound done to make sure he gained enough weight. I am really worried and scared to have it done. Cause if there is something wrong, they might take him out tonight. Has anyone had this problem?

Ps. My dd who was born nov 2007, I only gained 15 pounds with her.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my third child I only gained 11 pounds. We found out afterwards I was having problems and she was born three weeks early weighing only 5 pounds 13 ounces and was 17 1/2 inches. She was small and thankfully healthy. Get the ultrasound done. Your going t worry if you don't.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• With every single pregnancy of mine, I haven't gained much weight. I'm 26 weeks with twins right now and so far I've only gained 5 pounds total and I'm still below my start weight. Don't stress it!!! The baby gets what it needs first. As long as you are eating a healthy diet, you and baby will be fine. Its good they are going to check the growth weight of the baby because the baby COULD have stopped growing. But that won't be because of anything you've done as long as you have eaten through out the pregnancy and I'm assuming you have. Don't stress it. Some doctors put too much emphasis on numbers in pregnancy. By the time I give birth, I'm usually below my start weight.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 9:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• BTW - my doctor and I were just discussing this at my OB appointment on Tuesday and he said the new recommended weight gain number is 15 pounds so it sounds like you aren't that far off.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 9:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i wouldn't worry about it my mother only gained 7lbs with my brother and 10 with me and we where pretty good size babies and just fine he was 6lbs 9oz and i was 7lbs 7oz they told her she was all baby
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 10:02 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• with emma i actually lost 18 lbs and she was perfect. I would say that you are fine your measuring a week ahead so that means the baby is growing perfectly. My dr wasn't concerned at all b/c in a sense b/c i started out a little heavier that i would have liked they baby just used what i had if that makes sense.
    danielle072903

Answer by danielle072903 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i wouldnt worry i had lost about 5-7 lbs in the beginning then i only gained about 18- 20 and in 2 weeks i only gained half a pound everyone is diff im sure your little one is fine im sure your dr just wants to be safe and check nothing wrong with that just think you get to see your baby again lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I wouldnt worry too much. With Cowen I only gained like 15 pounds and lost 5 of that before I had him! I also had extra weight to begin with so might explain why I didnt gain alot (that might be your situation as well). I think hes fine! Good luck at the drs!
    momis2busy

Answer by momis2busy at 11:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2009