why can't i lose 5 lbs?????

Just 5. That's all i want. For 2 months i've been walking 20 min to work everyday, i walk 20 min back home for lunch, then walk another 20 min to go back to work....that is = to 1 hour of fast pace walking a day. I have been SOOOOO good eating healthy, i cut out my nightly cocktale, & I've been eating lower calories w/ mostly veggies..I mean it seemed like a no brainer! I was sure i could drop 5 lbs. What am i doing wrong? I just want to fit into "those jeans" for the concert!

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 8:28 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It could be because your metabolism has stabilised.  This happened to me and I had trouble losing the last 5 lbs of the 35 that I have recently lost. 

Try a no-carb diet for about one week (two at the most if necessary).  Eat fish, meat, eggs and vegetables.  No fruit, rice, pasta and bread.  You should see a result within a week. 

Good luck.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Drinking enough water, or cutting your calories too low. Eat mini meals every 3 hours, keeps your metabolism going..worked for me. I went from a size 18 to 10 in 3 months.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You may not be eating enough calories. I know it sounds strange, but if you cut your calories too much your metabolism actually slows down. Your body isn't sure when it's going to get fed again so it goes into conservation mode. You can keep your metabolism moving by eating every few hours - 3 meals with small, healthy snacks in between. Don't skip meals - especially breakfast. If that doesn't work, try adding some strength training with weights 2-3 days each week. You can find easy workouts online or in magazines like Health, Shape, etc. The weights really make a difference for me. Good luck with those jeans!
    sports2mom

Answer by sports2mom at 9:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• After you've been doing the same workout for awhile, your body becomes very efficient at doing it and doesn't burn as many calories because it doesn't take as much effort. Try adding some weight training or change up your routine. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water - you have to drink water to flush water out of your body. Also, make sure you're eating enough calories to fuel your workouts- if you don't, your body will hold on to what it has because it goes into a starvation mode. Also, change up your food - if you eat the same things, try something new - or eat bigger meals at different times - or add more small snacks - just switch it up. It's about changing it up - so your body doesn't get used to it.

It's harrder to lose weight when you have less to lose - so that sucks - but you can do it - and you have plenty of time! Good luck!!
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 9:10 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I eat around 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I think it may be the stength training that i need. I heard that you burn caloried throughout the day, even when your sitting, when you do some strength training. I don't have weights though, or time to go to the gym. I guess i'll have to do some research on other ways to do it at home. Thanks ladies for your replies!!!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• get your thyroiud checked out, and eat 1000-1200 cals a day, diet like hell!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• it takes 3500 calories for each pound gained or lost. try a food log
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Could be an under active thyroid.

Eat protein in the morning (eggs are great). It kick starts your metabolism for the day, and keeps the amount you burn higher than normal too.
    Small meals often. Be a snacker!

Nothing aside from water 3 hours before bed if you can help it. If you are starving eat "simple chained" foods. Fruits and vegetables turn into carbs which turn into sugar, carbs turn directly into sugar. avoid protein at night, takes longer to digest and your metabolic rate is much slower during slumber :)
    xrussianbabe02

Answer by xrussianbabe02 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• you may need to do a cleanse. the toxins in your body need the fat to balance themselves out... once you get those toxins out it is much easier to lose weight. let me know if you want more info
    jambalover

Answer by jambalover at 3:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would up the exercise, try running for 30 mins straight 3-4 times a week. Or you could do what I do since I'm lazy, eat TruChocolate. You can lose up to 1 pound a day, I ate it for two weeks and lost 8 1/2 pounds. Now I just run to lose the rest of the weight, I needed the boost from TruChocolate to get me going. Since I started running I've lost 10 pounds. So running does work, walking takes time.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 1:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009