Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Kids were served windshield wiper fluid in a daycare....

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Ten children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at an Arkansas day care mistakenly put the liquid in a refrigerator and served it, hospital officials said Friday. Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, drank about an ounce of the fluid late Thursday afternoon before realizing it tasted wrong, said Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock. Only one child remained hospitalized Friday morning, after blood samples showed "measurable levels" of methanol, a highly toxic alcohol that can induce comas and cause blindness, officials said. "All we know was that the individual at the day care had recently shopped and had come back to the day care with a lot of different products," James told The Associated Press. "This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator."

What would you do?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (33)
  • um.. wouldn't the child seal cap be enough to get this staffers attention? I know fluids like that around here have a special cap on them... and the bottle doesn't look like kool aid to me.. eitherway, why serve koolaid at daycare? It would be healthier for them to have real juice.. not koolaid, made from sugar and water (with a touch of flavor).. I'd be looking into the daycare if I were the parents. and definitely would not be going back..
    xxhazeldovexx

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • That is SO scary. I don't know how wiper fluid bottle would look like a Kool Aid bottle. Not enough attention to detail for someone that is taking care of kids.
    kboney29

    Answer by kboney29 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • things like this are one of the main reasons that NOBODY keeps my DD, I would never put her in day care. My mom and my MIL are the only ones who are allowed to keep her
    mommyBrooke849

    Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • This is a valid reason why I do not have my children in a Day Care! This is just ignorance at it's finest! I agree with kboney, how in the world does a wiper fluid bottle look like a koolaid bottle?!! Dumb ignorance!
    blessed5x

    Answer by blessed5x at 10:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • Not all daycare is bad. Like any service you can choose a place that is cheap, understaffed and undereducated or you can choose a quality program. I highly recommend doing research and spending time with the staff to get to know them before leaving your children with them. You would be surprised at how many parents leave their kids with just anybody.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • how sad! things like this can easily be avoided! How can someone be so careless when caring for kids! So glad I am lucky enough to be a SAHM!
    MommaTasha1003

    Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • Why would you store windshield wiper fluid in a fridge? Auto parts stores don't do that why would you do it a daycare? And also was it stored in some sort of alternate container than it was purchased in or are the day care staff illiterate and they didn't read that it said windshield wiper fluid?
    NotVeryClever

    Answer by NotVeryClever at 11:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • This is strange .. how could this happen? There is a huge difference between cool aide and windshield fluid.
    I feel for the parents and kids!
    Shaneagle777

    Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • How do you mistake wiper fluid with koolaid? Did they not bother to look at the label? Did they not notice the smell? I mean really? I just dont see how this was a mistake.
    abbynzachsmommy

    Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

  • Wow that is truely sad.Glad the kids are ok.Wonder what charges will be brought.This is crazy I don;t even see how she could of mistakingly put a bottle of wiper fluid in the fridge? I have not paid enough attention or my mind on other things and stuck peanut butter in the firdge and once left an ink pen in there lol......but wiper fluid and then like someone else said how would the smell and all go unnoticed when serving it? ugh
    tnmomofive

    Answer by tnmomofive at 11:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN