What is considered a high fever for a 20month old baby girl?

When is it time to rush to the hospital?

EvaMarie321

Asked by EvaMarie321 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should call your dr first, he'll be more able to answer this question.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 10:57 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You need to contact your childs doctor asap!
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 10:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i belive its around 103 but i agree u need to call the dr
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 10:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I was told when the child had a high fever, to give tylenol or motrin, if the fever does NOT come down, then call. My daughter ran a temp of 104.9 once when she was 3. She was vommiting because of the fever, so I had to give her a tylenol suppository, which was REAL pleasant for the both of us NOTT>>>, but it brought her temp down. It's always prudent to call the peditrician though
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My son is fighting a virus right now, 3rd day of really high fevers. His fever gets up to 105 when Motrin wears off. I took him in to the pedi office and there is nothing that can be done (for him) other than giving him Motrin and warm baths to bring it down. I guess as long as you can bring it down a point it's ok.
    Call your pedi office so they can help track the progress of the fever. I think that once the fever is at 103 and won't go down with Motrin (Tylenol doesn't last as long) your pedi is going to want to see your child to rule out some sickness'. Especially if it has been more than a day.
    I wouldn't waste your time or money rushing off to the ER if your child is drinking fluids and eating a little. Give a bath at 95 degrees for about 5min. and this will drop the fever good and fast. Watch for shivering though, if you notice shivering remove from bath and warm with towel right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• These are the guidelines that apply for her (and you):
    If there are febrile seizures - no matter how high or low the fever - go to the ER.
    If the fever is over 104 and won't come down with treatment, go to the doctor or urgent care.
    If the fever is over 103 and won't come down with treatment, call the doctor or go to the doctor.
    If the fever goes over 103 three days in a row - even if it keeps coming down - go to the doctor.
    If the fever is over 102.5, treat to bring back under 102.5
    If the fever is under 102.5, do not treat. Pain meds can be given for pain and discomfort but not just to bring the fever down.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We rushed my dd to the ER back in Dec. & they kept taking her temp every 30min. (She had staph infection in the hip- but we didnt know it at the time)... I ask the nurse when is a child in danger or what not & she said there is no set number. every child is diffrent..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I just went through this its around 103 and make sure that she drinks if i wouldnt have been able to get my dd to drink yesterday she would have been admitted into the hospital
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 1:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009