How can I get my 19 mo old son to go to bed earilier?

HI.. Iam a mom of a 19 mo old son , and he never is ready to go to bed before 9-10 pm! I would love to get him to sleep by 8:30 or 9 pm at the latest.. thanks for any ideas. Lisa C

shy_ismy1stgrey

Asked by shy_ismy1stgrey at 10:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like my son....he wakes up each morning at 10am......and naps from 2-5pm each day.....I love his sleep pattern he is 22 months
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 11:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I know what you mean. My dd has always been a night own & she is 2. but its probley partly our fault too, we dont go to bed early either... But start waking him up earlier in the morning & giving earlier naps.. try to make activities in the morning to wear him out earlier. rather than late in the day. . . do you have a bed time routine with him? Try to get one & stick to it for a while & he will get adjusted to it. Dinner at 5pm. Bath 6pm. Snack & a easy play time. pick up toys. change diaper, read a book then lay him down to sleep in which ever way is best for him.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You have to start at the other end of the day.
    Write down when he normally gets up, normally naps, normally goes to bed. Now shift all of those times earlier. If he goes to bed earlier, he will need to get up earlier too. You can't expect him to just sleep a couple hours longer.
    Start getting him out of bed at the new wake-up time. Get him into sunlight for 10 minutes within 1 hour of getting out of bed. That will help reset his internal clock.
    It will be rough for a week or so. Just stick with it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We had the same issue around this age with late naps and later and later bedtimes.  When I finally got him to go to bed earlier, everything about our day improved.  I wrote a blog about it.  Feel free to read it.  It's too long to write here.

http://raisingrocco.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/early-bedtime-routine-better-sleep/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• get him up earlier in the morning or else increase the amount of time between the end of his last nap and the bedtime you actually want. he should probably only be taking one nap per day of 1-2.5 hours and should be sleeping 10-12 hours per night at a go.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Now that I have had a normal work schedule for the last year I have been able to put my son to sleep between 8 and 9 every night. sometimes I can trick him into going to sleep earlier if I try. I keep him on the same routine. We get home from work/daycare, he plays while I cook dinner, he eats, plays while I clean up then up to the bath for more playtime with me. Then I dress him for bed, turn out all the lights rock him to where he's almost to sleep and lay him down. Its all about consitancy...
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009