Would you stop your kids?

Would you ever make your kids stop talking to someone that is in their life regularlly just because you hate that person??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you are talking about a teen with friends, the surest way to make them want to be around that person more is to try to forbid it. My son has had friends that I didn't like and I told him what it was about that person that I didn't like and that I didn't want him at our house and would not give him rides with the rest of them then let him make the decision about their friendship.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Tough question. It depends on the circumstance. If you feel threatened by this person and uncomfortable, you have that right. They are your kids, you control them. However, if it is due to an arguement, you really shouldn't go to that extreme.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If your kids had a step parent that you hated would u make them stop talking to them just because you guys can't get along?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I would only stop them if they were a danger in any way to my children. But if it was just a personality clash NO.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 11:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I agree with 4 monkesy!good

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure you could make them stop talking to the person you hated. Knowing kids they'd just do it anyway. But if there is a serious problem educate your child on what the problems are and let her make her own decision. She'll figure it out on her own soon enough.
    Anonymous

• I demand respect from my children and that goes for how they treat others.. And I'm talking about step parents.. If my ex were to get married I would expect our children to treat them with the utmost respect... They are children, not adults and in order for them to learn to be good people we have to teach them and lead by example... As for their friends, if I didn't approve of them then I tell them not to hang around them, and I keep in touch with their teachers to make sure they don't...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 2:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• No, I don't care much for my FIL and have issues with the things he does/feeds and show's my kids. But to stop their relationship would not be fair to either of them. DH has to often talk with his dad about what is appropriate for the kids and what we feel is acceptable or not regardless of how he may feel about it. ex. He let DS watch a movie that I had watched before and didn't feel it was apropriate. FIL thinks that because it's a cartoon it's ok. Not true!
    If there was a reason, like the kids safety or the adult ignoring what we wish then it would be something that we would talk about.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If the person is harming my child, or doing something illegal, I sure will. If it's just because I don't like the person, probably not. My son goes to my exbf everother weekend (not his dad though) and I can't stand his gf, she is a control freak, but I still let my son be there because he love my ex and needs the male interaction. I don't hide my feelings for the gf and my son really doesn't like her because she tries to control him too. I have made my feelings known and that she has no right telling my son what he can and cannot do, he already has a mother and doesn't need a control freak of another one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009