do any mothers have ferrets?

okay i bought my kids a ferret and im so freakin tired of cleaning his cage all the time he wont litter train ive been trying for like 2 months and so im cleaning his cage every 2 days its driving me crazy he stinkkkkkssss so bad im constantly giving him baths and i love him and the kids love hm pleasseeeeeeeeeeee ne suggestions will help...oh i tried the expesive recycled bedding stuff that holds up to 2x its own weight and helps reduce odor IT DOESNT WORK

BBKMommy

Asked by BBKMommy at 11:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pets

• have you noticed that they back up into a corner? put cat litter in every corner of the pen. they also have plastic cat pan liners. i line the bottom of the cage with that and put newspaper over it. i have had many ferrets and the smell is something i have learned to control. any other questions just let me know.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• They also have an odor spray. i spray it on her after her hair is dry from a bath. my SIL gave her to me and had this stuff you put in their water that is suppose to control odor in their stool. wal-mart might not have these items but if you go to a regular pet store they should have a section with ferret products like this.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I had a ferret that was the same way. He wouldn't use his litter box and he stunk (I think all ferrets stink!). Newspaper didn't work at the bottom of my ferrets cage, he just played in it and the paper ended up being shredded and tossed around his cage. I ended up having to place the ferret in a much smaller cage and I put the litter in the corner of the cage that he continued to poo in. This actually worked. I kept him in the smaller cage for a month or so, and when I put him into the larger cage he coninuted to potty in the litter. I had to be sure to place the box in the corner of the cage that he wanted to poo in. Also with my ferret, once he started using the litter I had to clean it daily, if there was too much poo in it then he wouldn't use it.
    I bathed my ferret often (and he LOVED it) this helped with the smell. I also had to wash the bottom of his cage with bleach water once/twice a week to reduce odors.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Ferrets are stinky. Even though they have their main scent glands removed, they still have a musky odor that is more noticeable to some people than others. My husband hates the smell or we would have a ferret because I love them and had one years ago. The best thing is to bathe every couple of weeks, used a towel on the cage floor and wash daily (rather than using bedding or litter all over the cage), use a corner litter box with ferret litter in it and clean regularly, and use the ferret deodorizing spray. That is really all you can do.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I put my ferret in a small cage half was the litter box and the rest was cloth That did the trick now we just leave the cage open allways and the ferret knows to go in and do her bussiness if she messes up and litters out of the cage i put her in it for days as punishement it worked and as far as bathing it my ferret just jumps in with who ever is showing at the time she is like a mute human .ferrets are so little and they are smarter than you think to train it just requieres repetetive action ,hope that helps .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• And an air purifer did the room smell specially where the litter box is
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 14, 2009