• In the Spotlight:

Travelling by air w/ an almost 2 year old

My husband and I are going on vacation at the end of May. Our daughter will be almost 2 by then (b-day is end of July). We will be flying to and from our destination, but only our flight back is direct. We have one layover on the way down. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or experience travelling with a child this young. We have taken car trips places, and she's done well, just not sure about how she will handle the flights. Thank you in advance for any responses!

bethany9529

Asked by bethany9529 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Travel

• Vitamin benadryl lol. My son was on a plane every 2-6 weeks for medical reasons for about 4-5 years. The only problems we had were during take off and decending down. It can be hell on little ears. What we would do was give him a bottle on the take off and landing, swallowing helps with the ears. Your daughter is probably on a sippy cup, so give her that during those times. Also bring any small toys that she likes to keep her occupied, best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've flown with my kids many times.. on our last flight, my DD was almost 2, DS was almost 4.
    Some tips I have... either get on FIRST, or get on LAST.. but standing in line in the gate can freak kids out.. people all around.. tight space.. my kids hate it.
    I do NOT drug my kids.. thats a bad idea.. im sorry, I know alot of moms do it.. but personally I think its unfair to the child. Your daughter will likely enjoy the plane ride! My DD and DS both loved it! The only time we had problems was when someone offered them chocolate.. and then when it was gone, they wanted more.. lol. Thanks alot old lady in 14b! They slept the whole plane ride home on Christmas.. my DD cried for about 30 seconds in the terminal.. but by the time we were taxi'ing they were both passed out! My trick? we walked around the airport for 2 hours before our flight.. just kept moving.. so they were tired.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:45 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks for the answers... our flight out is at 6am (ugh), but i'm hoping that means she will sleep from here to Chicago. Then we have an almost 2 hour layover that I can use to run her little legs off! :) There are 4 other adults going with us, so I know I'll have help keeping her entertained on the plane, I just don't want to be THAT mom on the plane with the crazy screaming kid!!
    bethany9529

Answer by bethany9529 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and has been flying since she was 6 months. The best thing I found to do is go to the dollar store or buy other inexpensive gifts and surprise your child on the flight. ( new book, new doll, new match box cars ect) We always take coloring books and small things of play doh! Works every time! Also pack snacks.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• BEING A FLIGHT ATTENDANT, I SEE THIS ALL OF THE TIME. KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE A SEAT FOR HER YET BECAUSE SHE HAS NOT REACHED HER SECOND B-DAY YET. DUE TO SECURITY ISSUES, YOU CAN NOT BRING LIQUIDS THRU SECURITY CHECKPOINT. MAKE SURE TO BRING A LOT OF SANDWICHES AND SNACKS, COLORING BOOKS AND HEADPHONES FOR HER MOVIES IF YOU BRING THAT. YOU CAN BRING DRINKS ON THE PLANE, BUT ONLY IF YOU PURCHASE THEM AFTER THE SECURITY CHECKPOINT. BRING A BLANKET FOR HER TOO.
    LUVBUG320

Answer by LUVBUG320 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Make sure you have her birth certificate to prove her age. As others have said, make sure you have new toys to entertain her. My daughter did well with a portable DVD player and some Little Einsteins videos so we could pretend we were in Rocket while we were in the plane. I have always paid for a seat for my daughter and used her car seat (giant Britax, and very cumbersome) but we were always let on first to strap her in and she was used to her car seat so it wasn't a big adjustment for her. Our biggest problem was always dealing with certain men seated anywhere near us. They always acted more babyish than she, and always expected a reward for sitting near a child, like a free drink. Just try to ignore them.
    sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 2:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2009