how do i stop my 5 year old son from destroying everything he lays his hands on? from his toys to books to spoons to you name it.

how do i stop my son from destroying his toys?

laitan

Asked by laitan at 3:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take toys away from him until he can learn to respect them and not destroy them. Don't buy him any new ones until he can learn to take care of them better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Dont give them to him. As he destroys something, tell him "No thats naughty, if you cant play nicely with your toys I will have to take them away..." give it back to him at a later stage with a reminder about the rule. They will understand the rule eventually. Its about how consistent you will be, that is the tester. How well has your son trained you? LOL
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You don't say whether he is raging or just destructive. My son tears things up, chew on things or otherwise destroy things. This is part of his sensory processing issues. If he seems to do these things unintentionally, or without realizing it, talk to your pediatrician or school psychologist. He could be craving certain sensations.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Make him pay to replace it. I'm not kidding. That is the only thing that has worked for our son. He gets an allowance every week (his papaw brings him $3 a week). When he breaks something, he gets the money out of his piggy bank to pay to replace it. Not only is it making him more responsible, but it also lets him know the value of things. And, he is learning about money. In the last year that we have been doing this with him, he has only broken 2 things.
    Nicollynne

Answer by Nicollynne at 2:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2008