am i just being paranoid?

Anyone know the early signs of autism? Like can it start as early as under age 1 and go unnoticed or is it something specifically unable do diagnose until age 2-3? Has anyone had or know a child diagnosed prior to first birthday or even prior to second birhtday and what they did that made drs look into them more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most doctors will not diagnose a child before the age of 5. Though there are early warning signs it is premature to say with any certainty before that age. If your child avoids eye contact and does repetitive head movements for what seems to be no reason, ask you doctor about it. Otherwise try to relax. If there is a problem it will turn up eventually. I know it's hard to not worry about your child, but it's best for you both to just enjoy your time with your sweet baby :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My nephew was diagnosed when he was two. He wasnt talking, walking or hitting any other milestones.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My friend's son was diagnosed by 18 months, but there were definately indicators before that. Being a parent of a special needs child myself, who is only 6 months old, I think you just need to listen to your mommy instinct that tells you something is wrong. Not what other people tell you is okay or not okay, or what other people's babies are doing. You need to look at your child and see if something might not seem right. And ask your pediatritian questions, don't assume that they are going to catch something.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Docs won't even test before age 5. The reason is simple many babies do normal things that seem like signs but really aren't My dd used to sit by herself zone out completely and rock back and forth. Come to find out she was day dreaming. How ever if you truly have concerns you should monitor it and inform you doc.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2009