How can I get my 3 year old to poop in the potty?

My daughter just turned three and loves to pee in the potty. She refuses to poop. She knows how to and has done it a few times, but its not clicking to do it every time. She doen't show fear of the potty, I'm just not sure how I can help her figure this out.

nalpak

Asked by nalpak at 11:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Good luck with that one! My son wouldn't go for the longest time.

One night about a month ago there was a commercial for Disney World. He said he wanted to go there, and we simply stated that we weren't taking a diaper bag to Disney World. He has been going ever since that night. He tells people he is going to Disney World for pooping on the potty...no idea where they think of this stuff!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• LOL! I have the same issue!! I just watch her closely and put her on the toilet when she looks like she has to go. If she chooses not to go in the toilet, she gets to clean her own underwear. So far she only did this twice.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We used an "incentive" program with my now 3 year old. He was my hardest to train. We went to Wal Mart and bought a package of his favorite Hot Wheels (letting him pick them out added extra emphasis). For every day he pottied in the potty with out an accident he got one. After a week or two he was doing it and forgot about the cars. Now he is fully potty trained. It takes time and patience. It took him almost a year (we started at around 2) to get the hang of both in the potty. Poop was the hardest one. We tried Gummy Bears too and they worked for awhile...
    SuthrnPrincess

Answer by SuthrnPrincess at 12:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009