My husband wants to start CIO with our 7 month old son. Will you share success stories with sleep training?

I want to hear about all methods. What worked for you?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 12:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CIO, when done properly, is not child abuse. To just leave a kid in the crib screaming might be neglectful, but that's not CIO. CIO requires you to check on your baby in specific intervals, calm him, and try again.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• IMO CIO is child abuse, but to each their own. My children were not "sleep trained", but I did get the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and try a few of the techniques in there.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Here's what worked for us at 6 months. Before I had been nursing my girl to sleep and putting her down asleep usually. But sometimes it would take several tries because she'd wake up and want more nursing (because we took away the pacifier a few weeks ago). So I started for about a week making sure the sleep routine was very consistent. First we gave her a bath, then pjs, then I nursed her (or my husband gave a bottle) with the lights ON. Even if she fell asleep then, I would wake her and read a book or two. Then I'd turn out the lights and sing her a song or two. Not to put her to sleep but just to calm her back down after the books. Then I put her in her crib still awake. I couldn't believe it. She almost never cries, Since I've been putting her to bed awake with this routine, she's just been babbling for a bit, and then either drifts off or has one short fuss, like 30 seconds or a minute before it's quiet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have let my son cry it out. Let me tell you it is the best choice I ever made. Crying it out does not have to be abandoment. Trust me it will be tough for you at first but the rewards outweigh it. Your baby will not feel less loved. My son is happy as ever! Not every child does well with this method though but this worked for me. I would go into my baby's room and pat him on the back or stroke his head and tell him goodnight, I love you. I would then leave. After 5 min, I would do the same thing then leave. After 5 min, same thing, etc. until he fell asleep. The times will get shorter, I promise. Sleep sense is a great book. You can try looking into that as well
    Anonymous

• (continued)... We're building toward no night feedings. Right now if she wakes up before 4am, I just let her cry and usually it isn't more than 10 minutes or so, although once it was 30 minutes (not easy). After that I get up and feed her. Although last night she slept from 7:30 until 6:45am, I nursed her and she went back to bed until 9am! Naps are a slightly different story, she usually does cry for a little while, maybe because the routine isn't as solid (we have a toddler who's usually in the way). But she never cries for too long -- maybe 2 to 5 minutes. Be strong, if you DO want to do it this way.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Wow, child abuse? They cry as they learn to soothe themselves. It's the only way they can express themselves, it does not mean they're thoroughly distressed. In my opinion, if you don't give them the chance to learn things they never will.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I used the No Cry Sleep Solution and it worked great! Took us about a week. And I agree, CIO is abusive.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• CIO is not abuse. People say that it cause the child's needs not to met and their brain does form right or whatever. That is not true, what those people are describing is reactive attachment which is caused by much more than crying it out. My adopted son has it so, yes I know what I am talking about. My other kids CIO and are perfect and healthy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I agree, you don't abandon your child. You give him the chance to learn how to go back to sleep when that's what he really wants anyway. It took us about a week with our first daughter to get her to where she never cried going down for naps or bedtime, and now she's almost two and occasionally we'll hear her in the middle of the night singing her ABCs or something, but she's does not need us in the middle of the night and never has. She is not afraid to be alone in her dark room, and she loves the time before she goes to bed to rehearse all the things she's learned that day. She started doing this at 6 months -- would say Dadada, blow raspberries, etc. and then drift off to sleep. The crying part really did not last long and we never let her go for longer than 30 minutes. I have a very close bond with both of my girls and they are happy and adventuresome kids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_attachment_disorder
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009