what do you think???

i took my 2 year old to the e.r yesterday after he fell, hit his head, and possibly knocked himself out. the dr checked him out and said he was fine. then she told me that the rule about not letting them go to sleep for an hour after hitting his head is not true. she said that if he hits his head, i can let him go to sleep without making him stay awake for an hour as long as i check on him. i have always been told that you are supposed to make them stay awake bc of possible concusion. what are your thoughts on this??

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have always heard the same as you.
    Anonymous

• heard the same
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• i had always heard to keep them awake also, I would be too scared of letting them go to sleep
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• well i think everyone's heard it but its if you believe it or not...i personally never believed it,
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have had numerous docs tell me it is not neccassary, but I always hear it. I have yet to need to test it though thank goodness! I wouldn't "force" them to stay awake, but I might try to keep them occupied so they don't fall asleep for a little while.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I was told they can sleep as long as I wake them every hour or so, check to make sure they are not acting "drunk" or dizzy and to watch even the day after for vomiting as that can be a sign of a serious injury.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've been told what your Dr said. As long as they let out a healthy cry (but aren't inconsolable) after they fall, and are alert before they fall asleep, you shouldn't be too worried. If your child is instantly knocked out, is inconsolable, vomitting, or hard to rouse, take them to the ER.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I've always heard it and personally have always done it. My then 20 month old
    DD ran into a Walmart, tripped, fell, and cut her head open on a cart. We had to take her to the ER and she got her cut glued shut. It was well past bedtime by the time we got out and had already been an hour+ since she hit her head, BUT I kepther up for another hour before I let her go to sleep. I was so scared that if she went to sleep she wouldn't wake up. In fact, I even slept in her toddler bed with her... very uncomfortable for a woman who is 6 months pregnant at the time! Lol
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2009