Does your baby eat snacks?

I am not bashing mommies who give their babies snacks. I have given my son puffs before but every time I give them to him (hardly ever) I wonder if he really needs them. Do babies under a year really need snacks? Do you think it will contribute to poor eating habits or obesity? I think sometimes as parents we do what is easy. I know instead of listening to my son cry while I am making dinner, i put him in his high chair and give him some puffs. I feel that I'm doing it just to keep him quiet and then I beat myself up thinking, am I teaching him bad habits early? I don't let my older one have a snack before dinner so why let my little one? Do babies really need snacks nutritionally or to tie them over? If they eat 3 meals (solids) a day and bottles in between, how necessary is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not so much that the needed them as it was that I was "training" them for later. I knew the goal was to have three meals and 2-3 meals when they were on table foods and older...so I worked for that goal from the beginning.

I started giving babyfood at meal times with a drink. When they were 6 months and we started fingerfood and table foods, we started snacks. The amount of food they received at snack time wasn't much...their main source of filling nutrition was still their formula. As we started adding more table foods and they stopped baby food (by 9 months) then I began working the snacks as part of their daily diet.

They still receive a mid-afternoon snack. Sometimes it's a special treat (cookie for example) but usually it's something a little more healthy....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I doubt gerber puffs could cause childhood obesity. Honestly snacks probably make it less likely to become obese because it keeps the metabolism going.

Do you only ever eat 3 meals a day and NOTHING in between? probably not. I know I eat snacks between meals. It's up to you as the parent to make sure the snacks are healthy. Don't feed your child donuts and muffins all day.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• If they are eating three meals and bottles in between, then to me the bottles are the snacks. My dd has three larger feedings, including solids and two smaller bottles inbetween. I don't think at his age, under one, you can form bad eating habits. I think closer to two is when they start forming real eating habits and seeing what is right and wrong. JMO.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I really don't think that feeding him a few snacks here and there will hurt him or jeopardize him for being obese. A mom has to get things done somehow and if you have to bribe him every once in awhile in order to cook dinner for the rest of your family or to throw some laundry in wouldn't you rather feed him a few snacks instead of letting him scream his head off.
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 12:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Healthy snacks are fine, you'll have nothing to worry about when it comes to Gerber. If you really worry though then only give him snacks when you want to congratulate him like, going to the "potty", talking, walking, crawling, or any other "firsts" that he hasn't tackled yet.

It would help ease the "guilt" on giving your child snacks by giving him snacks when its in encouragement.

JamiNeal09

Answer by JamiNeal09 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• No, my daughter didn't have snacks when she was that young.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• id be more concerned w/ giving too much juice than snacks. so long as you arent over feeding him i wouldnt be so concerned w/ obesity at this age. its okay for a baby to have a little extra padding :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I never gave my son snack type foods, what i did give was fruit as a snack in between meals (still do that).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2009