Does any one home school?

I want to home school my children once I return to the US. Does any one have a good program they can recommend for my children.

CShah

Asked by CShah at 12:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• We've been homeschooling for 5 years (mine are 9, 7, and 2). We love it. We use a mix and match curriculum because it is more flexable. We used Bob Jones for math through 3rd grade, then we switch to Saxon (I don't like the Saxon math program for K-3). We get used textbooks from ebay and other sites for Science and Social Studies and English. LifePacs for Bible. And Barnes and Noble has a huge selection of various workbooks (and if you sign up for the educator discount, you get 20% off books, doesn't count to DVD's and CD's though). We use the workbooks from B&N for cursive and handwriting and phonics. I love the Core Knowledge books ("What your ____ grader needs to Know). And we always go to the library and check out books for reading. It's not expensive. We paid about $200 for all the books and supplies (including pencils, paper, crayons) for this year. We find a lot for free online too.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have been homeschooling over 8 yrs. my boys are 12, 14, 15.

I unschoool though- no program or curriculum.
    we use bits and pieces of curriclum sometimes as we want and as works for what they want.
    Apologia science is excellent!

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have home schooled my 4.  We  started  out with all Abeka.  Still use some abeka.  But it gets boring for us.  I use Saxon Math.  I love Daily Grams and whatever goes with that for English.  There is so much on the internet now.  Spelling City.com is great. Just a combination of things.  Good luck!

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 2:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We use the K12 system, although this is our first year homeschooling. I love it. Interactive preplanned lessons online....no need to buy books, etc. For English requirements we check out many books at the local library. PE is taken care of very inexpensively at our local rec center and logged into the K12 system as well.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2009