My eight day old has one crusty eye?

His right eye keeps getting crusty. He can open it, but there are just all these white flakes. I keep wiping his eye with a soft wet paper towel to get it off but it keeps coming back. What is this? Is it normal?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• clogged tear duct. My daughter had one too. use a warm wet washcloth (not a paper towel) to gently massage the undereye area from the middle of the eye to the inner corner a few times per day for a couple of minutes to encourage the clog to dislodge. You'll know when the clog has released because the eye will all of a sudden get really really goopy, then will weep for a day or so and then it will just be done! My daughter's tear duct was clogged for about 3 months, so it might take a while.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• yes it sounds like a clogged tear duct. it will unclog itself if i remember correctly. my son is 2 now. just keep doing what you are doing
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• This happened to my son. Let your pediatrician know about it. My son's got infected and my doc prescribed an antibiotic ointment for it. If it is crusting over very frequently your doc may want you to use an ointment too. You can also try to drip a little breast milk in his eye if you are nursing.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• This happened with my newborns as well. It's just a blocked tear duct. My pediatrician recommended using warm wet compresses (folded paper towels or clean wash cloth) to loosen the crust, then gently rubbing the area between the inner corner of their eye and nose several times a days to open the duct.

They also sell drops for infants that does the same thing.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my son had this problem too. dr said it was from his tear ducts not being fully developed. she said it was totally normal and to just keep wiping them clean. don't worry unless it turns super green and nasty.
    luvmypup

Answer by luvmypup at 12:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my dd had that when she was a newborn. i took her into the pedi and she had pink eye. so u might want to just check with pedi to make sure that she is good.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a clogged duct. My son was put on antibiotics when he was very young for... he still has a goopy eye at 8 months we just wipe it clean. If it gets really bad I put breastmilk in it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2009