• In the Spotlight:

Please help, husband and spending

How do I get him to stop? We had finally gotten out of the negative, thanks to taxes. We were gonna be ok, we could pay the bills and maybe have gone out to eat once a month. We had security. I checked the bank before i went ot pay the power bill , which will be cut off monday. And there is not enough in there, plus three more charges waiting to go thru. He's not been eating the lunch I sent, instead buying 15 dollar meals. And there are more charges on there that should have been payed with tax cash. What did he do with the cash money? I feel so betrayed. What do I do? I want to go a steal his card before he does any more, but I know that will just start an argument.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Get a different husband. I hate men like this.
    Anonymous

• you just need to ask him which is more important, electric in the house or food in his stomach. i have kind of the same problem, my husband gets an extra $700.00 dollars in his pocket and its off to the blackjack at the casino. i finally put my foot down, started the argument and told him that i dont support his gambling and his habits. yes we did get the heat cut off one time because of it and i never supported his casino habit since then. good luck.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 12:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Whew, wow, not only is that very irresponcible of him but like you said, what IS he doing with the money that you DON'T know about. Perhaps suggest opening a second account for money for bills and for YOU to pay them, meaning he has NO access to them. And well, flat out ask him why he is spending so much on food everyday when you pack him a lunch.

I love the David Bach books and what he and others call "The Latte Factor" If he didn't spend $15 a day on meals (5 days a week) and instead stuck that $15 into just a savings account in 10 years you'd have $37,500, not a bad start towards saving for the future.

See if your library has the book "Smart couple finish rich" by David Bach or "The Automatic Millionaire" and have him read it. Besides whatever else he may be doing, at least giving him an eye opener will get the point across.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My hubby and I have read “total money makeover” by Dave Ramsey. It was hard at first but I can not believe the difference it has been making. It did not really work until the both of us got on board with it though. Good luck with your situation.
    Anonymous

• I texted him he said he was sorry. But he always says that. I try to make money plans, but half way thru he always get pissed off and says i shouldn't be spending all of his money. I've tried giving him a big allowance, going without and him getting what he wants, just handing it all over to him, nothing works. I should be able to trust him. And I shouldn't get upset withmy self for buying the kids happymeals one saturday when he spends ten times more than that with no problem.
    Anonymous

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxYwrP-IBs

free information that can help you pay bills
    read the welcome message to learn how

blakesma

Answer by blakesma at 8:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2009