How do you deal with trantrums in public!

Only child, spoiled, used to getting his way, adventerous,charming intelligient old soul

cheydior

Asked by cheydior at 1:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its so embarassing isnt it?! Idk, I just give him what he wants sadly. he is so spoiled rotten. I feel like a bad mom telling him no . I know im going to get negative feedback from that answer. but we have the money to spoil him and give him whatever he wants.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you are a bad mom for giving him what he wants, just make sure he learns to appreciate it and share with other kids when he is around them. I know plenty of people that would be considered "spoiled' but they are also the nicest people I know and would give the shirt off of their back for anyone.

As far as the question asked...I try to take a deep breath and not worry about the people around me and what they think. It's not their kid so it's none of their business unless I'm beating my child or not even acknowledging his bad behavior. Do what you would do at home. One thing I have tried to practice is to teach/treat my son how I would want to be taught/treated. It's hard but that's where the deep breath comes in! LOL
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 1:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Lucky kid! getting what he wants. Even when we could afford to give the kids what they want I wouldn't. DH would, he's weak when it comes to the kids! lol I'd take them out of the store if they absolutely wouldn't settle down. I'd give them consequences and such. I'm hard and I demand respect from the kids. I'm the boss and they know this. I would not be able to leave the house with 3 kids and accomplish anything if I was forever dealing with tantrums and demands from them.
    Please keep in mind that you are not doing you son any favour teaching him that he can act up and still get his way. I've spent some time with some generation Y girls and they honestly felt that they were entitled to whatever they wanted regardless of anyone else. If they didn't get their way they were seriously pissed. These girls were around 22 at the time.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• A tantrum in public needs to be dealt with right then and there. I keep an old baby blanket in my bag and use it as a time-out mat. If my daughter throws a fit in the store, she knows I'll pull it out and plop her in time-out right in the middle of the aisle. Waiting until you get to the bathroom so you can have privacy is too late. Waiting until you get home is really, really too late.

Before you leave the house, lay out the ground rules...
    We are going shopping. I know it is boring and no fun. You are to sit in the cart and talk to mommy. If you throw a tantrum, you will sit in timeout.

The exception I've found is dining out. I ask the server to bring to-go boxes and the check WITH the food. Then, if the worst happens, I can pack up the food, pay, and leave without waiting for the sever to come back. Other people are paying good money to have a somewhat peaceful meal - it's only polite to leave.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Oh - and I've actually had strangers THANK ME for putting my child in time out. She wasn't being super rotten, they were just glad to see a mom take charge and say NO MORE to a child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I guess it depends on the "tantrum". My guys are 27 mos so when we're out in stores, they're usually in their stroller or in the cart so they can't get very far. I also always bring a drink/snack/small toy to occupy them. Timing is everything too. We try to do errands only in the morning but if we have to, I go as soon as they wake from their nap.
    I've only experienced one tantrum over a toy. We were buying a present for their cousin in the Thomas isle. Silly me, what was I thinking bringing them with me. Pre-tantrum I'd given them each a new train but that wasn't enough for one of them. I just said sorry you can't have that and we left the isle, quick grabbed one or two more items and then left the store. At home I ignore tantrums and that usually nips them in the bud.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I get down to my son's level and try to make eye contact (but that rarely works) and say you are only embarrassing yourself, I don't care how loud you cry. That stops him real quick because he only throws a tantrum to embarrass me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Excellent tips, Kaycee14!! I'm getting the baby blanket in the car this morning! I don't tolerate bad behavior, public or private, but hadn't come up with a great technique in public other than leaving, which is definitely inconvenient when we're out of milk, etc. We had to leave storytime last week because he didn't want to cooperate even though it is geared toward his age group. He didn't care at all, so it wasn't like it was a consequence that had much impact. I was MORTIFIED at having disturbed the group with bratty behavior.
    PeachMom329

Answer by PeachMom329 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 14, 2009