Please help my daughter is so congested she won't nurse. Any Suggestions?

My 5 month old daughter was diagnosed with RSV 5 days ago. She never had to be hospitalized and we are watching her very closely. We have been doing saline drops and bulb suctioning her out. She sleeps in a room with a cool mist humidifier going constantly. We took her to the MD to have her suctioned out but that didn't really help her. She doesn't sleep well and she doesn't nurse very well because she can't breathe. If you moms have any advice I would really appreciate it. She is just so miserable right now.

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I saw this one I thought I could help, but your already doing all the things I would suggest. Sorry I wish I could help. Good Luck
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm so sorry. Sounds like youare doing everything you can. Try feeding her twice as often, and let her stay ther untill she is done or asleep. She may just suck a few times and then catch her breath for a little while but leave her at the breast untill she just flat out refuses. I know it is hard, good luck. Maybe take her back to get suctioned again? They may not have done it long enough or deep enough if she is really backed up, have another nurse do it next time. If she doesn't eat at all for a long period you may need to call her Dr.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Only thing I can recommend is suctioning more often. I know it's horrible because they cry so hard. But suction suction suction til its out. Then feed her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I thought of something, my dd had quite a bad cold a few days ago and I had the same problem, she refused to nurse, anyway I pumped then mixed the milk with her rice cereal and feed that to her, she eat that cause it was easier for her to breath than when she nursed.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Suction more often and afterward put the breast milk up her nose-that helped with my son.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• One more! lol! You might be doing this already, but suck out her nose then add the drops and try nursing right after that.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We found a better solution to suctioning than the bulb syringe. It sounds like a weird system, but it works SO MUCH BETTER. It's called the Nose Frieda (http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-USA-LLC-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B000OS8BP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1236967483&sr=1-1). We also tried the battery operated one, which did not work at all. The Nose Frieda is kind of a weird concept, but it really, truly works. You'll be amazed at how much you can get out!

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Im not sure if someone already suggested this... It worked for us extrememly well!

Just before she usually gets hungry, go into the bathroom and run the shower water on as hot as it will get. After a few minutes, take the baby and sit anywhere clean and comfortable. Take a towel to block underneath the door so it gets nice 'n steamy. When you can tell her nose has cleared up, offer the breast or bottle and she should be perfectly fine.

I hope shes okay. Good luck with everything!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Just keep doing what you're doing - it might take having her at your breast constantly because she can only suck for a minute here and there. I went through a period of this b/c my DD had such bad congestion. I just basically had her attatched to me constantly until she started to clear up.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 8:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Nosefrida yes! I agree, it is a great tool, my sister is a nurse in the NICU and she recommends it to all the newborn parents... Some Whole Foods sell it now.
    marla

Answer by marla at 9:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009