My 1 week old daughter

Is it Normal that my daughter sleeps all day & stays up all night? and everytime she wakes up without even opening her eyes shes crying and screaming bloody murder? oh and is it bad to feed her everytime shes crying?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 1:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sometimes takes some time to get a newborn into a good day night cycle. Just keep her around noise during the day (rather or not she is awake) and nice and quiet at night, don't turn alot of lights on, she iwll get the hang of it soon. There isn't a reason she should be crying like that just as she wakes yup though. Maybe reflux? Is her tummy hard and hurting her? Babies will generlly show signs of hunger before they cry. Also if you know it is time for her to eat then feed her, but 9if she just ate, or haven't tried anything else or she isnt doing any other hunger signs then don't feed her every time she does cry. I would talk to her Dr about the crying when she wakes up though.
    Anonymous

• Yes its frustrating and normal. All my baby did at that age was sleep, poop/pee, wake up/cry, nurse...over and over again.
    Anonymous

• Babies need to be fed every 2 hours but in the beginning I would nurse on demand. They only have their voice to tell you what is wrong so listen. In the beginning it si a guessing game since you are trying to learn about each other. So clean diaper, fed, held, rocked, swing.....
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Completely normal. Even though every baby is different. Right now feed her when she cries. As she gets alittle older, you wil learn each of her cries and be able to determine if she is hungry, tired, soiled, hurt. Hang in there momma!
    my2turkeys

Answer by my2turkeys at 2:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Get a boppy pillow. In the first few weeks I would nurse my DD on the boppy pillow she would fall asleep for an hour, wake up and the continue nursing. This is basically what we did the first few weeks. You can fall into some good shows. Nurse as much as possible to secure your supply. Don't supplement. My DD was always soothed by BF or a burp. If you think its something else I'd call you ped. You won't over feed her breast milk.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• At one week..yes, feed her every time she starts crying. If she stops to eat, she was hungry. Sounds like she has her daytime and nightime confused...she'll get the hang of it eventually. Its early in the game. You're in survival mode right now.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2009