Icing cupcake sides?

Do you think it is possible to ice the sides of a cupcake? Here's why I am asking. I am having a Mad Hatter tea party for my daughter and I want to have cupcakes that look like tea cups. I though I might be able to ice the sides. I could use large pretzels cut in half and dipped in colored chocolate for handles or half of a sugar cookie (iced) for the handle. The saucer could be a sugar cookie iced or dipped in colored chocolate too. Those parts seems easy enough but icing the sides of a cupcake...I don't know. Has anyone tried this? Went to a bakery and they basically said all they could do was make a mini cake and charger me $7 per cake. Yikes! No Way!! I need you expert bakers to help me :-) Thanks.

M2Mommy

Asked by M2Mommy at 1:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How many will you need to make? If you don't have a lot to make then I would say go for it because it will be tedious work trying to frost the cupcakes. It can be done but you have to have patience. I like your idea by the way.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I'm sure you could ice the sides, just make sure they're nice and cool first so it doesn't get warm and drip off. How to hold them and eat them without making a huge mess would be the only problem. You could always just have the girls use forks though like you would with cake. I think it's a super-cute idea. Good luck! :)
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 1:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks....maybe I will give it a practice try this weekend. I don't know yet how many kids will be there but I imagine somewhere around 15. We will definetely use forks LOL! I can do the handles and saucers a couple of days in advance if I use colored chocolate. I just wish I could find a bakery who would just ice cupcake sides for me. I am not a baker so this should be interesting. I will probably be covered in frosting!
    M2Mommy

Answer by M2Mommy at 1:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I think I would go with 7 minute frosting. It is very easy to work with and dries quickly too. It also holds things really well that you stick into it.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have not seen any cupcake sides frosted. You can use colored cupcake liners to look like teacups. That just sounds like tedious work. You can try foodnetwork or other food sites for tips.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009