Did any of you use Reglan to increase milk supply, and, if so, what was your experience when you went off of it?

I was on Reglan (3 pills a day) for 10 days, and it was working great! Then I started taking two pills a day, and my supply dropped immediately to lower than it was before the Reglan. Very disappointing! I had to supplement with formula for the first time. I called my doctor, and he gave me more Reglan so I could stay at the 3/day level for a few weeks, but it has still not increased back to the high level yet. Even if it does, I am worried about it dropping way down again once I start weaning off of it. Any experience with this? Thanks so much! I really want to keep breastfeeding as long as possible (my son, Owen, is 3.5 mos now).

KatieOwen

Asked by KatieOwen at 1:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should join the breastfeeding moms group you will get tons of answers there. and there is a post there with almost 600 posts on how to increase your supply.
    Anonymous

• Hi Katie-
    I used it and had to get it perscribed twice. My supply would drop when I was off it as well. Toward the end I took Fenugreek and drank Mother's Milk tea as well. Make sure you breastfeed as much as possible. Whta my lactation consultant told me to do was to pump every time my son was done eating to try to encourage my body to make more. Sadly, I lost my supply after 3 months but I know I tried! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I did not use any drugs but lots of Moms use fenugreek, Mothers Milk tea by Traditional Medicinals, eat oatmeal daily (not instant), lots of water etc.

Good luck I hope you get more answers-also check out the lactation groups and/or breastfeeding groups for more help and support
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I have tried all of those items except eating Oatmeal. I will try that too. I pump after every feeding (which he is still doing about every 2.5 hours!), I take Fenugreek, I drink tea, I drink LOTS of water, I eat a lot, I try to relax as much as possible, I have talked with lacations nurses over the phone and in person, I have talked with La Leche league people, I try to visualize the milk, I spend time skin-to-skin contact with him, etc.... and the Reglan was prescribed to just give me a little boost so that I could have a little more freedom... but after I started getting weaned off the drop in supply was huge. So disappointing. It is a little comforting to know that this has happened to others, but it makes me wonder if I should not have started it to begin with. I will join the Breastfeeding group as soon as I figure out how to. I have not had a lot of time to explore the website yet. Thanks! Katie
    KatieOwen

Answer by KatieOwen at 1:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Do some research on Domperidone. Unlike the Reglan, which can only be used short term due to risky side effects, this can be sued longer term. Go to http://www.lowmilksupply.org/domperidone.shtml

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• What the lactation consultant told me and it made total sense was that my body isn't triggering to make the milk on demand like most women do, it makes it at certain times and that's it. Sometimes our bodies just dont' work the way they're supposed to :(
    Anonymous

• Nursing is supply and demand. If you want to increase your supply, do not supplement with formula. This will only cause your milk supply to further decrease. Instead, nurse more often for a few days until your supply increases. This worked me for me every time. My daughter is nine months old now and still nursing. She has never had a drop of formula.
    kledge

Answer by kledge at 2:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I understand that it is supply and demand, but it does not always work that simply for everyone, unfortunately. I think you can tell from my comments that I have been working my tail off to keep up my supply, and the first formula he ever received was after the Reglan decrease made my supply drop to lower than the pre-Reglan level. Most days, he eats almost continuously and I stick with it to keep up my supply. I wish I could have made it all the way and say that he never got a drop of formula, but he was so hungry...something happened with going off the Reglan, which is why I posted this question. Now that I am back on the Reglan, my supply is adequate again (but he still eats very frequently for a 3.5 mo old). I think I will look into the Domperidone to try to help me make it to 1 year. Thanks, Katie
    KatieOwen

Answer by KatieOwen at 2:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yeah, not everybody is able to produce a full supply, most can, but some can't. Have you ruled out thyroid problems? How about PCOS? Moms with PCOS who struggle with supply often do well with a prescription for Metformin.

You may find that once he starts solids and is taking less breastmilk you will be able to keep up. So while you are likely to continue to need a galactgogue, like Domperidone, for the next few months, you may do okay in those last few month closer to one year old.

Hang in there and keep up the good work!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks! :) I will add Thyroid and PCOS to the list of things to ask my doctor about. I have no other symptoms that would cause me to think I had PCOS, but I am happy to look into any possible reasons. I really want to keep breastfeeding. What is the story with Domperidone? I am getting mixed info on it... it sounds like it is not prescribed here... I will search on the website too. I am sure this has been discussed before. :) Thanks for the positive thoughts!
    KatieOwen

Answer by KatieOwen at 5:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2009