when to buy a "big boy" care seat?

My son is about to turn 6 months and i know he has to still be rear facing but he is sooo heavy in the carrier! when did you get the big seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son was 5 months he outgrew his infant carrier, so we bought a convertible one, the Britax Marathon. He is 2 and 9 months and still fits in it now, but we also just recently upgraded him again to a harness booster seat, the Britax Frontier, since we're having a second child and she will be using the Marathon soon. He will be able to use the Frontier one until he's no longer in a car seat at all, which is great.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 1:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We bought our convertible seat when my son outgrew his infant seat at 6 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• my son was almost 6 months when we got the convertable seat. he was over the max weight for the infant seat, but we still rear faced him. it goes on weight and inches, not that he's too heavy for you to carry
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My son outgrew his carrier at about 3-4 months so that is when we bought a convertible seat.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My older two were in a car seat at 4 months, the youngest from birth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I used a rear facing convertible from birth with both my kids. I really like the Britax ones.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• You don't have to take the carrier out. If he still is under the seats maximums, simply start taking him out of the seat and leave it in the car. You'll have to do that with a "big boy" seat anyway.

Once he reaches the max for his current seat, get him a convertible seat if he is still too young to go forward facing.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We never used an infant seat! We started with the convertible. It was much easier for us.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Thanks OP for posting this I have had the same question my son who is seven months old today is sooooo freakin heavy in his carrier that I just started taking him out of it and leaving it in the truck when we go places, since he is big enough now to be able to sit just fine in a shopping cart, its just too heavy and I can barely lift it when he is in there. Do you happen to know what "big boy" seat is recommended?
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• We got a convertible car seat at about 7 months for our daughter.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 5:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009