BF'ING ??

How long can freshly expressed breastmilk be stored at room temp? i was told and read 10 hrs but now im not so sure.

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 1:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never left it out for more than 2-3 hours, and even then only under extreme circumstances.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I was told 8 hrs but have also heard 10
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Seriously, can you come up with something better than BFing.. It makes me laugh thinking about what alternative meaning is...
    Anonymous

• It shouldn't be left out more than a couple hours. I was told when pumping when my daughter was in the NICU it was okay to sit out 4 hours untill the next time I pumped, but I pumped every 2-3 hours so It was never out more than 3. You can put milk in the fridge and add freshly expressed milk to it for up to 12 hours. Then it's best to either use a new container or freeze it so the dates are similar.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I also thought it was 8 hours.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 1:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I enver knew BFing stood for anything else than breastfeeding. Please, anon, enlighten me.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Anonymous

• o.k. so i have been going by the the 10 hr thing....have i been giving her spoiled breastmilk? something just didnt feel right.
    MiMiBreezy

Answer by MiMiBreezy at 1:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• at room temperature (66-78°F, 19-26°C) for 4 hours (ideal), up to 6 hours (acceptable)
    Some sources say up to 8 hours is okay. Use your own judgment as well!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• when in doubt, smell and taste it. If it smells okay adn tastes okay, it's most likely fine to give it to her. I'm sure if it was hat spoiled she wouldn't have drank it and wouldv'e gotten sick.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2009