Lactating, then no lactating?

This is my second pregnancy and I started lactating when I was around 28 weeks. Not a whole lot, just a little and my OB said it was normal and nothing to worry about. Well, now I'm 39 weeks and about to deliver and for the past week I haven't been lactating at all. I'm worried that I won't be when baby comes either. Has anyone had this happen to them and did it kick back up once you delivered? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Weather your boobs leak or not during pregnancy has ABSOLUTLY NO INDECATION of weather or not your will produce milk when baby comes. It can take weeks for milk to come in and that little bit of colustrum that comes out at first is all baby needs. DO NOT SUPPLIMENT OR GIVE WATER! This will hinder your supply, the breasts need all the stimulation they can get. Also, do not pump untill a supply is established unless medically needed (EX, NICU baby) Drink plenty of fluids and massage your breasts gently in a circular motion. The truth of the matter is, that LESS THAT 3% of womean actually can't breastfeed. That is such a small number. So many women lie about really being able to breastfeed and that scares some moms. You can do this. But leaking colustrum has nothig to do with your future supply. congrats on the baby and your amazing decision to do whats best for baby.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Your milk doesn't actually come in untill after the baby is born, you were probably leaking colostrum with your last one. Your body has had practice with this one so you are least likely to have it happen with baby #2 or 3. You will be fine, just keep trying to nurse after baby is here and don't worry untill about 2 or 3 days later. It can also take a bit longer for your milk to come in too, so don't give up!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2009