Why do you say "even though the doctors recommend this, I did this and my kid turned out fine"....?

But what if your child could have turned out better? What if his IQ could have been higher, or what if he could have had a lower chance for a disease later in life? Why do you assume it was okay because you didn't see an immediate and obvious negative symptom?

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 1:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with the anon who says, "they are trying to convince them selves they are not stuid or selfish".

I know too many women like that, that or they will go through a hundred doctors until the find the doctor that enables them.

I know at least 1 chick who claims her doc said she could smoke as much as 3 cigs a day (when she was preg) bcuz it was soooooooooooo hard for her to quit. Well she smoked anywhere from half a pack to a pack a day (enableing doc. said she should try not to smoke as much) Long story short her 7 yr old son can't walk out the door when it's less then 60 degrees covered up like an eskimo because he ends up with an infection in his throat. I can't count how many times he's been in the hospital for nemonia(sp?). That's just on chick, I know another who had two boys like that and those two boys are constantly having chest issues and they are both aspiring athleats.

"the doc. said I could" SELFISH!!!
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 2:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I don't understand the question.. if the doctor recommended it, then why would we have to worry about how our kids turned out? makes no sense??
    Anonymous

• Sometimes doctors have a hard time seeing outside of the box of their speciality. If you have a conventional doctor, he may roll his eyes at your ideas of homoeopathic ways, and vice/versa. Nobody should ever think that one doctor has all the answers.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Good points, MamaChamp. I hadn't thought of it like that. What I thought of was all the warnings against smoking and someone always comes up with their grandfather was a 5 pack a day smoker and lived until age 98. There are almost always exceptions. I am glad those moms had a good result with their children, but I'd be afraid to recommend something that the doctor warned against in case my children were the exceptions and someone else's children might not be. But then, the mom should give careful consideration before not following what their doctor recommends.

Answer by Bmat at 1:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• And just what is the doctor going to recommend that would increase my son's IQ?

Feeding him?
    Playing with him?
    Helping him learn?
    Nurturing him?

Um...I pretty much do all of that.

What is it you have in mind?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Girl, if we thought like that, we might all be genius's... No kid comes with a manual.. we do what we think is best.... sometimes it's right, sometimes not.
    Anonymous

• Because they are trying to convince themselves that they were not stupid or selfish making a decision despite the fact that they know it wasn't the best choice for theirbaby. For instance, I read a question the other day about pregnant moms who continue to smoke even though Drs have warned against it and we all know it's a selfish, unhealthy thing to do for your baby. Someone responded how they smoked with all 3 of their pregnancies and all their children were normal weight, not sicknesses etc. It's just a way of justifying their selfishness and irresponsibility.

Anonymous

• Well on feeding food too early, on what you feed them, on watching tv all day...on everything really. I see alot of posts on here and women say that exact phrase. Like, "i fed my baby rice cereal at 1 month old, and he's just fine". Yeah he's fine now but what if he has a food allergy 5 years from now? Or what if he deals with obesity for all of his life? Things like that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• Yeah anon 12:55, like that! Why tell another mom its gonna be okay because MY baby was okay. Research says otherwise PLUS you dont know what problems your child will have down the road because of your smoking. So YOU made a mistake. OWN up to it and don't tell another mom she can make the same mistake and it'll all be okay.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I feel I have pretty good instincts... When my children go to the Dr it's usually because they need a prescription and I'm not A Dr. so they will have to be seen... I don't rush mine to the Dr every time they sniffle though... And we have been very fortunate to have 3 very healthy boys.. I think it's the luck of the draw.. My middle child gets sick more often than my other 2 so I go by the dr's recommendations for his asthma.. But she has said to that I should use my instincts to decide whether or not he will need a treatment when he has a flare up.. I haven't been wrong so far so I think it just varies by what the problem is and so forth... I will also change Dr's if I feel they are trying to pump me or my children with just anything to see if it will work, they don't always know, they make mistakes just like anyone else and we aren't experiments so we have to be careful not to always do what the Dr recommends...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 2:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2009