Does anyone have any home remedies for an ear ache?

My daughter who is 9 is complaining that her ears are burning, itching and hurting. She isn't running any fever either. She has been taking allergy meds (singular) prescription because where we live the almonds have bloomed and she is allergic. She has had I called her ped. who can not get her in today. Soonest appt. is wed. the 18th. So I am looking for some home remedies to try in hopes of avoiding urgent care and or the ER. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I'm also wondering if it's allergies causing the ears to be itching and bothering her.
*note; if it worsens' to the point that she needs medical care, she will go. So please no answers saying go to the dr immediately. I will take her if it is needed.

MrsFancyPants

Asked by MrsFancyPants at 1:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2009 in Health

• set your hair dryer on low and blow the warm air into your ear.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My grandpa used to blow smoke in our ears... But I think the hairdryer is the same effect and is healthier lol... 0o0o yea my mom used to pour peroxide in our ears too... (she was looking over my shoulder saying "don't tell people what he did they'll think we're bad parents" HAHAHA)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• take a warm water bottleand hold it on/behind her ear
    SophieDrewsMom

Answer by SophieDrewsMom at 2:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• She is having a reaction give her Antihistamine
    TRyan

Answer by TRyan at 5:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2009

• My kid's peds said to keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the freezer for when the kids have ear aches. When they have an ear ache, pour a half of cap full in the ear. It won't help for an ear infection, but it will numb the inside of the ear and help with the pain until you can get to a dr.
    I thought she was crazy but it did help. Many years later, we still keep alcohol in the freezer- just incase we have 2am earaches.
    A warm cloth will also work.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 14, 2009

• You can also heat a damp washcloth in the microwave for a few seconds, then wrap that inside of a dry hand towel. Have her lay on the towel with the ear that hurts. Moist heat is usually very effective at helping with an earache. You can also alternate between ibuprofen and acetaminophen (tylenol) for pain relief.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 2:58 AM on Mar. 14, 2009